B’ham poetry slam: Monthly event moved to April 13

By on April 10, 2012

When Brads and Brews rolls in, it's winner-take-all at the Birmingham Public Library. www.facebook.com/pages/Brad-Brews

It’s your dream come true—and quite frankly I don’t know why it has taken you so long to realize it. Finally you have an outlet for that beatnik, slam poetry that you love to recite when you’re alone in your room at night.

So I believe that a special thanks is in order for the good people who have organized the ongoing monthly event (that you are just now hearing about for some reason), Bards and Brews at the Birmingham Public Library, a beer tasting and open mic poetry performance. Now is your chance to share with the world your new poem “Corporate Zombie Love Making.”

Bards and Brews is a chance for anyone and everyone to sample beers and enjoy poetry slams the first Friday of every month. This month’s event was bumped back a week, however, due to fact that last week was Good Friday.

I myself have not attended but a friend of mine, UAB graduate Eva Almeshal, has been. “It’s really cool. It’s not very often that you get to see poetry slams in Birmingham, or at least not that I’ve heard of. It’s not something that I thought I would be into but it was really great,” said Almeshal.

The organizers of the event could not be reached for contact this week, but next Friday, April 13 I plan to take in all the poetic pageantry first hand. Who knows, I may even bust out a poem for two. Each contestant puts five dollars into the pot and the winner takes all. Just the way poetry should be if you ask me.

A little competition makes everything better, even poetry. Not to mention local vendors will be there offering free samples of their beers and bottles to purchase.

Next week’s event will be held at the Central Library located at 2100 Park Place downtown. There will be live music starting at 6:30 p.m. and call time is at 7 p.m.

Finally, a chance for you to share your poetic gift with the world. I’m so happy for you and look forward to being there to cheer you on! While I’m there rubbing elbows with all the beatniks and poet laureates, I’m hoping to see if I can find a connection between people’s favorite author and their favorite beer.

I assume fans of Poe will enjoy a darker brew while Whitman enthusiasts perhaps enjoy a good old fashioned American Lager. But I digress, more on that later.

Oh yes, I almost forgot. If by now you are absolutely convinced that this is your opportunity to showcase your poetic brilliance with the world but you are not yet old enough to get into R-rated movies, then you are just going to have to wait another year or two before you can attend.

Participants must be 18 or older and of course you’ve got to be 21 to drink. So follow your dreams and share your gift; the world could use another poet, although no one really knows it.

Cody Owens
Staff Writer
cjowens@uab.edu