Cheap dates that won’t make you look cheap
Posted on Aug 07, 2012 in Features
Maybe you’re a freshman, and you have a wallet thick with graduation money. Perhaps you’re broke like the majority of college students. I am personally a firm believer in dates, regardless of your money situation, because I don’t think a date has to be extravagant to be special. In fact, I’ve had a better time where it was fun and planned out rather than when it was a guy trying to impress me with a fancy meal. So, find that special someone (or even just a friend) because these date ideas are super inexpensive and guarantee a good time.
1. Head to the dollar theater. Carmike 10 Cinemas (3443 Lorna Road Birmingham, Ala. 35216) has blockbuster movies that have just gone out of theaters for, get this, $1 a ticket. With $8 to spare, you can load up on all of the Gummy Bears and popcorn your heart desires.
2. Go hiking. It’s free, it’s fun, and when the weather cools down, it would be the perfect date. Bonus points if you make it to the top and make out instead of enjoying the view. For some great hiking spots around UAB, try Moss Rock Preserve or Oak Mountain.
3. Get refreshed outside of Starbucks. I’m all for cheap date ideas, but if you’re using your Blazerbucks to buy the refreshments, all romance goes out the window. Try some great local haunts such as O’Henry’s Coffee (2831 18th St. S.) or Steel City Pops, which boasts unique Popsicle flavors like Watermelon Hibiscus and Strawberry Fig. Get ‘em while it’s hot!
4. Have an international traveling dinner party. This is basically a de-constructed potluck. Get a few friends to all cook dinner at their respective houses one night, all choosing a different cuisine to make. Everyone starts at one house and travels and eats as the night goes on. For example, I might make Chinese food and my friends might make Italian, Greek or Cuban food.
5. Go halfsies on a tarot card reading. Books, Beans and Candles (1620 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. S.) does a 15 minute tarot reading for $20, and you might just learn your romantic destiny! Be weary, though. It might freak your date out to think of long-term potential after the first or second date.
6. Try karaoke and tacos. Honestly, can you think of a better combination? Fuego in Five Points offers $2 tacos on Tuesdays and karaoke. They also have pretty legit happy hour specials for the of-agers.
7. Mark Aug. 13 down in your calendar. The Perseids meteor shower will be visible in the lower 48 states (which include Alabama, yay for being in the South!). So throw down a blanket and snuggle under the stars. Oh, and don’t forget to make a wish.
8. Vulcan park at night is super romantic. Pack a picnic and head up there to see one of the best views of Birmingham’s skyline.
9. Have a cook off. Play Top Chef and head to the grocery store. Give each other a $10 limit to make the best breakfast, dinner, dessert, snack, whatever. Winner gets a massage from the loser.
10. Take a tour of Avondale Brewery, at half the price. You’re welcome for this one, guys. Call ahead to make a reservation for two people for $10. It includes a tour of the brewery and a pint at the end. This is only for those 21 or older. Be sure to mention this article when you call!