Single is still great
Posted on Sep 26, 2012 in Features
Have you ever noticed that single people tend to carry a negative connotation? Single women are seen as lonely cat ladies sitting around watching Lifetime movies and stuffing Haagen Daz into their mouths. Single men are viewed as hormone-driven sex machines running around town pounding their chests like cavemen. Is there a balance between the two extremes? If so, shouldn’t this be the time to enjoy yourself and be single? Think about it, you will never be freer to do what you want. You’re young, good-looking, and the world is your oyster…so why settle on someone “blah” when you can enjoy being single? If that’s not reason enough, here are a few more:
1. You can belt the words to “Single Ladies”, and actually mean them. It’s just stupid when people who are in relationships try to sing it.
2. You can spend all day sitting in your ugly sweatpants with the holes that your ex hated watching Breaking Bad, and no one will judge you.
3. No one is keeping track of how much you spend on that pair of shoes.
4. Both sides of the bed are yours. The same goes for no more awkward too-tight snuggling that keeps you up at night because you’re suffocated by each other’s body heat.
5. After graduation, you don’t have to worry about staying in Alabama. You can move to Bali, New York City or Timbuktu. No one is holding you back.
6. You don’t have to pretend to like their cooking, or their hobbies, or their friends. Hooray for not ever having to sit through a game of Modern Warfare or listen to her talk about purses!
7. It’s totally acceptable to write down your number on a napkin and hand it to that cute bartender. In fact, it’s encouraged.
8. More quality time with your friends and family.
9. You can focus on your next goal, whether it is landing your dream job or training for a marathon.
10. You can date whoever you want, including your DVR.
Don’t get me wrong, I think that being in a relationship is great. But for those of you who just want to be single and focus on yourself right now, consider this your manual. It’s been said that you can’t give yourself to a relationship if you don’t know yourself first. Being single is the time to do things for you and get a firm grip on what you want from your next relationship. Plus, developing yourself makes you more interesting to that hottie across the bar. No one wants a Boring Betty, so get out there and enjoy the single life! Stop wallowing or thinking you need someone to date to feel happy, because you don’t. And when in doubt, blast Beyonce.