Giving students a voice at the Fall Student Forum

By on October 23, 2012

The Student Forum is a bi-annual event where students are given the opportunity to meet with UAB’s President, Provost, Vice Provosts, deans, and other administrators to discuss current and future campus changes, as well as to address issues or concerns.

The Fall Student Forum will be held on October 26th from 1:00-3:00 p.m. in the Blazer Hall RLC. All students are encouraged to attend so that the student body’s voice may be heard.

“I feel that administrators will have heard 99.9% of the concerns that are voiced during the forum, and I am confident that they are working towards solutions. I think that we can do our part by offering some solutions of our own. It is a good skill to be able to recognize a problem, but it is a great skill to be able to fix it,” said Adrian Jones, USGA President. “If we work hand-in-hand with administrators, then I am sure that we can come up with a solution that both students and administrators can be happy with.”

Student forums have assisted the administration with seeing the needs of students. Recent changes responsible from the forum include healthier dining options (sushi, additional Chick-Fil-A menu items, and new on-campus restaurants), as well as extended library hours during finals.

With this year’s budget cuts, athletic revivals, and a record-breaking admission, a plethora of concerns are expected.

The forum is conducted in a Q&A format, broken down into categories where students may address concerns and voice possible solutions.

This semester’s categories include academics and advising, parking and safety, dining services, financial aid and scholarships, athletics, student life, library services, UAB’s continued campus improvements, and miscellaneous topics.

“In my opinion, some hot topics and concerns will be in the areas of parking, dining, and tuition increases. The USGA recently surveyed roughly 250 students, and those seemed to be areas of concern for many students,” said Jones.

The purpose of the event is to create a medium between students and administrators where students will pinpoint key concerns and administrators will relay current and future endeavors to address these issues.

“More than anything, I hope that the forum will encourage dialogue and discussion, as opposed to question and answer. I would like for the student body to become educated on the issues on campus, but I would also like for them to offer their opinions on various topics. In addition to students offering their opinions, I would like for administrators to listen. I think it is critical that the forum allow students and administrators to work together to improve UAB and our community,” said Jones.

Kaylyn Alexander
Staff Writer
kaylyn@uab.edu