Open letter to the petitioners

By on November 20, 2012

Hello my fellow (not if you had it your way) Americans. Let us not be coy. I understand that you are no longer happy with the state of affairs of this great nation that gave birth to you, and you wish to make a new home of your own. This upsets me to no end. What could have possibly happened to make you want to split U.S. up like this? Don’t you remember what happened the last time?
Remember, that ended rather badly. 

MCT Campus

As it stands right now, the petition for the state of Texas to secede from the United States has reached 112,000, well above the required amount to be taken seriously. But then again, everything is bigger in Texas. I wonder if this will be true when it becomes it’s own country, one free of tyranny and social security? No Obama, no government, no infrastructure, no retirement benefits and sadly, no professional sports teams. Where is America in that? Do tell me, what is patriotic about this silly little petition of yours? What is American about that? 

I can’t help but find the irony in the fact that the first time a group of states tried to secede from the Union it was based largely around preserving slavery. Now, 152 years later, our first African American president is entering his second term while facing a purely symbolic, if not entirely imaginary movement of states seceding from the Union. I wonder if race has anything to do with it this time around? Maybe a little? I mean anyone watching the Republican National Convention a few short months ago had to have been thinking the same thing I was: Why is it nothing but old white dudes? Or like Michael Steele tweeted after neither he nor Herman Cain were invited to the convention which he referred to as a “Klan Rally.” I can’t help but notice most of the states with secession petitions being passed around like moonshine at a hoedown are, by a large majority, republican dominated states. 

I wonder, now, what happened to Whitman’s America? What kind of American ideals are we singing, if no longer for the mother, the boatman, the mason or the wood-cutter?

Perhaps the problem is that we can’t hear the singing anymore over this obtuse banshee screaming contest we call our political discourse… Have we all forgotten that we are so much more than two types of people–the reds and blues? Let us not be defined by these colors or obscured by the limitations they carry with them. We are Americans. Regardless of who we vote for or what deity we may or may not pray to or whether or not we smoke weed or what our stance on abortion is, we are still the same, you and I. So go, go if you want, but don’t think you can take any of my America with you. 

Cody Owens
cjowens@uab.edu
Staff Writer