How to transition to school life

By on January 11, 2013

Remember UAB? You know, that place you attended before the days of sleeping in until noon and leisurely lounging around in a onesie without judgement? Well, welcome back! It can be tough to get back into the swing of things when it isn’t socially acceptable to wear a onesie to class and you have things like school, work, and friends to balance. Fear not! Here are some tips and tricks to start your semester off with a flourish and make it your best one yet!

thatgirlmag.com

Figure out your schedule in advance. Go on Blazernet, see where all of your classes are, and map it all out. Simulate a real day so that you can figure out your best times to work out, eat, study or socialize between classes. For example, if you have a class around noon and your next one isn’t until three, schedule a weekly lunch date with your friends during that time. It will not only give you something to look forward to on that day, but also give you a much-needed study break.

Which brings me onto the next topic of…Stress Management! I’m not one to lecture on this because quintessential Jaime is hooked up to an IV of espresso cramming for a final the night before. However, I’m working on that, and I’ve learned that actually reading the chapters or lectures the week you’re *supposed* to really does help. It may seem like common sense to some, but for us procrastinators, it’s a novel concept. Setting study goals like “I’m going to make a 4.0 this semester” rarely work. Try saying, “I’ll spend x amount of hours studying a week” and actually stick to it.

Okay, enough about school, let’s get on to the best part: Reinventing Yourself. You’ve seen the movies where plain Jane gets a haircut and suddenly she’s the hottest girl in school. Well, it doesn’t always work like that, but with a new year comes a new you, right? Make your best first impression with hotties, err, people in your classes. Pick out a rockin’ first-day outfit, actually make the effort to brush your hair, or try that new lipstick.

At the risk of sounding all Jack Dawson from Titanic, my M.O for my final semester is to “make it count”. I challenge you to do the same. I want you to send me ways you’re making this your best semester ever at jritter@uab.edu.

Jaime Ritter
Staff Writer
jritter@uab.edu