Path to Birmingham

By on January 15, 2013
Garrick McGee is hot out on the recruiting trail, already pulling in 21 recruits for next season. Houston McDuffie/Staff Photographer

The Clay Chalkville Cougar’s had a disappointing end to their season this past November as they lost 44-20 to Hoover High School in the semi-finals of the high school state playoffs. This hard loss closing the season makes it easier to look forward with hope to the future of next season, but what about those high school seniors that are graduating and closing that chapter of their lives forever? For some of these players that were the last game they’ll ever play as they go on to college just to get an education, maybe they’ll play other sports, maybe they’ll jump straight into the work force, or maybe they’ll go to college and play football.

Brandon Fuller, Clay Chalkville High School senior, is looking forward to the future with excitement as he gets ready to join his Clay Chalkville family (Darrin Reaves and D.J. Vinson) at UAB. Fuller is a 6’1” linebacker weighing in at over 200 pounds.

In an interview Fuller told us, “Being recruited is a great feeling! To know that you’re wanted for all the time, work, and effort that you put into playing a game that you love and you get to go play at the next level is unbelievable to me!”

Although other schools such as Alabama State, Chattanooga, The Citadel, and Middle Tennessee showed interested in Fuller, UAB was the first on offering Fuller a position. NCAA rule prohibit Fuller from officially signing to become a Blazer until February 6, 2013; however he has verbally committed to head Coach Garrick McGee at a previous prospect camp. Fuller told us, “I had a few schools that I considered but UAB was at the top of my list from the beginning for the academics and to get to play ball there is a bonus.”

Clay Chalkville head coach, Jerry Hood, reported “He didn’t talk about many schools other than UAB.”

Although Coach Hood’s players love him and Fuller will miss him—he is excited about the future with McGee. Fuller reported, “He [McGee] is a very great coach that not only builds you as a player but as a person. When my family and I came to go sit and talk with him he really made me feel as we were going to be a part of something big and I believe that.”

Last fall, Fuller recorded 40 tackles for the cougars and earned the honorable mention on the 2011 Birmingham News All-North/East Football Team. Like most high school recruits Fuller is nervous about going from being the “big guy” around campus to being just another face in the back of the classroom; but he has high hopes to be someone we all know!

Drew Gilmer, Clay Chalkville linebackers coach, is excited to see Fuller move on and continue his education and football career. Fuller intends to peruse a medical career in the future. He’s quiet and reserved, but Fuller always strives to do the right thing and be a leader.

Gilmer reported, “I think he is a very good pick up by UAB. He is a very smart kid and makes good grades in honor classes. He’s a very good football player. He was one of our better players and leaders on defense this year.”

Fuller says, “I’m anxious to see how the game is as the college level, but overall I’m pretty excited about having the opportunity to become a Blazer! I can’t wait to meet all the guys, learn the system, suit up and hopefully earn myself a spot on the Blazer defense.”

As the Cougars are disappointed to lose Brandon Fuller and his talent, we all hope to see him out on the field and succeeding with the UAB Blazers this upcoming fall.

Taylor Suttle
Staff Writer
tsuttle@uab.edu