- Students use alternative art materials for one-night-only exhibition June 18
- Digital Media wins national prize for TEDxBirmingham video
- Trip to New York brings national attention to Birmingham renaissance
- Clothes that work for new grads hitting the market
- Hagel emphasizes leadership to Naval Academy graduates
- Birmingham Chosen To Host 2015 C-USA Basketball Championships
- On The Money: How new graduates can take on the job market
- Canvas unrolled for new school year
- Tornadoes Leave Trail of Devastation (Photos)
- Campus closes early Tuesday due to severe thunderstorm
- Alabama does a double take: ‘Urinetown: the Musical’ hits home twice
- A+ Performance by Legend
- UAB Women’s Softball defeat Charlotte 49ers (8-0)
- A Fun and Fluffy Study Break In Lister Hill
- UAB Earth Month Festival
Revamp your tiring relationships
Spring is right around the corner, and with that usually comes spring cleaning. Why not apply this principle to your love life by getting rid of old relationships, ditching your bad dating habits, and upgrading your love life? Here are some of the most common dating misdeeds, and the solutions to fixing them, as soon as possible.
It can be hard living in a fast-paced high-tech world where we have to be plugged in constantly. However, checking your phone during a date might signal to the other person that you would rather be somewhere else. You can wait to return your roommate’s text or un-tag that fugly photo after dinner. The same goes for scanning the room. It may either look like you’re bored, or like you’re checking out the waitress, neither of which are good on a date. If you are checking out the waitress, go ahead and add that to the list of bad habits to break too.
Those habits signal disinterest, but showing too much interest can be a love killer too. The number one worst dating habit I see among people my age, especially girls, is shameless Facebook stalking! Whether you have never been on a date with the guy or you’ve been in a relationship for years, this is never okay.
It’s one thing to check out their profile casually, but to go through every “like” and automatically assume they’re flirting with anyone commenting their pictures is insane. Facebook makes us feel like we know the person or situation better than we really do. So my suggestion is this- if you really like someone, take a break from their page for awhile and spend time face-to-face.
Another Desperate Debbie move is to be available…every time your crush calls. I don’t care if you’re sitting at home in a mud mask watching Lifetime, tell them you have plans for the night and make them wonder what you’re doing. A little mystery always adds intrigue. If they lose interest after you’ve ditched them for one night, they’re probably not a keeper anyway.
Lastly, and most importantly, get rid of the toxic relationships in your life. Whether it’s with a mooching friend or your jerk hookup buddy, break ties with the people that keep you down. Spring cleaning is about getting rid of things to make room for better options. If your current relationship, like an old pair of shoes, no longer fits, get rid of it. It may sound harsh, but you can’t be your best, reach your goals, or have real love if you have someone holding you back. By ditching these bad dating habits and absolving the negativity in your life, you will make room for better people in your life.