- The Grand Budapest Hotel
- First African-American faculty member speaks at UAB
- UAB Relay for Life All-Night Event on the Green Starts Friday
- The Nile Project to be in residence at UAB’s Alys Stephens Center in 2015
- Libertarian Gary Johnson joins Tuesday panel for Earth Month
- Jalapeno Popper Pull Apart Bread
- Women’s Softball vs Tulsa a rain victim
- UAB, UAH student groups to host sustainability debate
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- UAB Celebrates Earth Month
- Cellular Stress May Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease
- Blazers Defeat Gamecocks
- Study War No More
- 2014-2015 UAB USGA General Election Results
- Celebrate Asian & Pacific Islander Heritage Month
UAB plays host to C-USA track and field tournament
UAB hosted the 2013 Conference-USA Track and Field Championships last weekend at the Birmingham CrossPlex. The CrossPlex opened in 2011 and is one of the premier multi-sport venues in the nation.
The Blazers had their best performance in the 5000m by placing first and second in the event. Rhiannon Johns and Elinor Kirkwent finished one-two in the race by recording times of 16:18.92 and 16:33.53. “It was a phenomenal day, maybe one of the best first days UAB has had in a very long time,” head coach Kurt Thomassaid said. “You can’t argue with the results. Rhi and Eli going one-two and having a champion in the 5000m is what it’s all about. It’s why we’re here.”
Johns finished the race tying the UAB school record, which was previously set by Elizabeth Ambrus in 2008. Junior, Kate Brownadded recorded her personal best finish time of 17:01.67.
UAB recorded another solid finish during the final day of competition. Junior Elinor Kirk and senior Sarah Hudak finished second and third place in the women’s one mile run. Kirk finished the race under the Conference-USA meet record with a time of 4:43.73. “The girls did a great job and the coaches did a great job at getting them ready,” Thomas said of the athletes.