Birmingham’s best place for gift and gags

By on March 26, 2013
Magnolia's is packed with interesting items to buy for gifts, pranks, and decoration around the dorm of  home. sarah Adkins/Staff Photographer

Magnolia’s is packed with interesting items to buy for gifts, pranks, and decoration around the dorm of home. sarah Adkins/Staff Photographer

If you should find yourself in the heart of Five Points South, you need to check out Magnolia’s Cards & Gifts. This novelty gift shop, which is located across from Surin West and Jim n’ Nicks, has been a landmark in Southside for over a decade. The owners, and partners, Ron and Earl, take great pride in what they do and in the Birmingham community. This dynamic duo is always willing to show customers around the store to help them find a perfect gift, or just things to make them laugh.

Originally, and serendipitously, I stumbled into the shop about a year ago when a friend and I were waiting for a table next door at The Original Pancake House. Needless to say, we missed our reservation. Who could blame us? We were so preoccupied with all of the “real cool stuff,” as the owner Ron would call it. My friend and I found ourselves up to our elbows in Last Supper place mats, coffee mugs that change images when hot liquid is poured in, teeth-shaped ice molds, and of course, the plethora of humorous cards in the back of the store. Since coming in for the first time, I have gone to Magnolia’s when I needed to find gifts for that hard-to-please friend, post-interview thank you cards, or funny magnets for my fridge. Also, I may or may not have bought a parrot hat for my mom’s Jimmy Buffet-themed birthday party. Okay, I totally did, and have zero shame.

The great part about Magnolia’s is that they encourage that kind of childlike silliness. Their “big-kid” toys and goofy paraphernalia make it nearly impossible not to feel one hundred times better walking out of the store. Whether you are looking for a mustache, a piece of political satire, or just a place to look around, this whimsical, fun-loving shop has something to offer. Ron says, “If you can’t find it, we’ll show you where it is.”

Jaime Ritter
Staff Writer
jritter@uab.edu