Kill those butterflies in your stomach at Redline

By on March 13, 2013

As an independent musician, I’ve found it extremely difficult to break out and share my work with audiences. Because my main occupation is being a student, I don’t devote enough time to writing to warrant going to play a full blown gig at a bar or restaurant, but I do have enough original material and covers to go and share my work in a short show. Until earlier last week, I wasn’t sure that there was anything I could do about this, until I found an ad for an open mic night at the Redline Piano Bar in Hoover.

The Redline Bar open mic night is a great venue for amateur musicians to share their work for a live audience through great live sound equipment. Redline Bar

Although the majority of the acts were playing country and rockabilly, any type of music is welcome at this bar. I played a cover of Brit Pop legend The Arctic Monkeys’ “A Certain Romance,” a cover of Sublime’s “Scarlet Begonias” (which is actually a cover of The Grateful Dead’s “Scarlet Begonias”), and two original songs. Although I was incredibly nervous and my voice was shaky, it was a great experience and I’ll definitely be going out again to help iron out the kinks in my live performance.

The place is a great venue for small-time artists to share their work. The crowd is really receptive and is open to a wide variety of genres unlike some other bars near Birmingham. Also, the show is really informal with both solo acts and jamming led by a vocalist. For those musicians that haven’t had the chance to feel the butterflies in their stomachs when you get on stage, you should definitely head to the Redline on Tuesday night to play a few songs.

Babi Baruani
Features Editor
features@insideuab.edu