- Grant enables UAB Hospital staff to feed underprivileged moms of newborns
- Military man coming to UAB for first time, graduates Saturday
- UAB’s College of Arts and Sciences to honor distinguished alumni and friends
- ‘Tis the season of giving — UAB launches holiday blood drive
- How a cybersecurity expert protects his smartphone
- ASC presents Take 6, “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year” Dec. 15
- Leeth named UAB School of Medicine assistant dean for strategic planning
- Coping with holiday grief
- New water plan saves big money
- Campus police offer holiday safety tips
- Alys Stephen Center Screens Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago
- Hospital feeds underprivileged new moms
- UAB’s Alys Stephens Center presents Yo-Yo Ma Dec. 6
- Southern Miss tops Blazers, 62-27, in season ending game
- Henry Panion selected for 2014 Alabama African-American History Calendar
UAB wins four straight
On March 26, the UAB Blazers softball team took on Mississippi State at home. The Blazers defeated Mississippi State 2-1, and that was only the beginning of their four-for-four winning week.
A few days later, on March 29, the Southern Miss Golden Eagles met the Blazers at the UAB Softball Field for a three game series. It was a good night for UAB junior pitcher Leigh Streetman who threw her second no-hitter game of the season. Streetman retired the Mississippi State Golden Eagles in order and impressed UAB head softball coach Marla Townsend.
Townsend responded to Streetman’s performance with, “I was proud of the way Leigh (Streetman) came out tonight. She told me yesterday that she was ready, and she did a great job getting ahead, especially when they battled so hard in the first inning. She did a good job of mixing up her pitches and mixing up the speeds. I was proud of her and the defense behind her, who she trusted to back her up. She pitched an outstanding game.”
Not only was the first game of the series a game for Streetman to be proud of, but it was a mile stone win for coach Townsend as she marked her 400th win. Townsend said, “400 is a number, and what it says is that this program has been around for a while and every person that’s come through this program has contributed to that number. It shows where we’re headed and I’m just proud. I’m happy about it, but I’m ready for 401.”
The 401st win is exactly what she would get on Saturday with two back to back shut outs. The UAB pitching staff worked together and supported each other refusing to allow Southern Miss to score a single run throughout three games. The scoring started in the fourth inning with Anna Kimbrell, a senior catcher, with runners on both first and second base. The game was pitched by UAB junior Lannah Campbell who struck out 10 Golden Eagle batters with the final score of 6-0.
The last game of the UAB vs. Southern Miss series gave Townsend her 402nd win. The final score to the last game was only 2-0. Both of the Blazer’s runs were made at the bottom of the third inning. The game began with senior Lauren Webster pitching. Webster pitcher four full innings and struck out seven Southern Miss’s batters before Streetman was back out on the mound. At the top of the fifth Streetman stepped up to the mound with two of Southern Miss’s batters on base and no outs. Streetman and the Blazer’s finished strong not allowing any runs from the Golden Eagles.
It was a long but successful weekend for the Blazers. The next game is scheduled for April 2 and the Blazers hope to continue their winning streak of seven games and improve upon their six game home winning streak.
With only three games this week the Lady Blazers will no doubt be looking ahead on the schedule and peaking at the Alabama game set for April 10th in Tuscaloosa. UAB lost to the Crimson Tide 8-4 in their match-up earlier this season.
UAB currently stands 22-7 and 11-1 in C-USA action as they will try to make a run into the NCAA tournament for the second year.