Foiled Miso Salmon

By on June 11, 2013
Daniel Twieg/Photo Editor

Daniel Twieg/Photo Editor

Alright comrades, I have a confession to make. I don’t ALWAYS eat healthy.

Today for example I indulged in a delicious bacon cheeseburger from Five Guys and Fries. But that’s okay! Because it isn’t possible to eat healthy all the time. Sometimes your body just demands fatty cheesy goodness. The goal, however, is to limit your fatty cheesy goodness to just once or twice a month and eat relatively healthy 98% of the month. Now, I know fat gets a bad reputation with nutritionists and health nuts but what a lot of people forget is some fat is good for you.

One of the most successful food lifestyles (I hate the word diet because diets never work; lifestyle changes do) is the Mediterranean diet. The Mediterranean diet comprises mainly of lean meats, healthy fats and proteins. Meals on the Mediterranean diet are mainly fish, olive oils, beans, fruits and veggies. It’s a very good lifestyle choice because it’s low in saturated fats and high in monosaturated fats and dietary fiber.

I am a very big fan of this lifestyle choice because I love fish. Fish is one of my favorite proteins and, if it weren’t for my fear of mercury, I would eat it every day. Fish are high in omega fatty acids which, in proper doses, help metabolism. Sadly, I’ve realized in my ventures in cooking that fish is one of the trickiest meats to cook. If you grill it, it falls apart. If you fry it, you lose a lot of the health benefits. But a few months ago I discovered the Hail Mary technique of cooking fish: foil. Foiling fish solves all of your usual fish-cooking dilemmas and it helps seal in extra flavor. I started messing around with different ingredients and finally came up with a recipe that delivers extreme flavor and satisfaction.

My favorite fish is salmon so the choice of fish was a no brainer. The real trick was asking myself what herbs and spices go well with salmon. After experimenting with different herbs and spices I found the perfect combination to bring the salmon to life. However, I couldn’t help but feel something was missing. A good friend of mine was talking about how much she loves incorporating miso paste into her recipes so I started thinking “Would miso and salmon go well together?”  For those of you who don’t know, miso paste is a thick paste made from soybeans. It has an endless list of health benefits and is tasty to boot. So without further a due, here is my delicious recipe for foiled miso salmon.

Foiled Miso Salmon

• 1 salmon filet
  • 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
  • 1 stalk of celery (chopped)
  • 1/2 a sweet onion (chopped)
  • salt
  • pepper
  • dill flakes
  • 2 lemon slices
  • 1 tablespoon miso paste
  • 1 teaspoon mirin
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce

First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees.  Lay out your aluminum foil and place the lemon slices on top. Place your salmon filet on top of the lemon slices. Next, season the filet with salt, pepper, and dill. Place the chopped veggies on and around the filet. Finally, mix the soy sauce, mirin and miso paste together and pour over the salmon. Wrap the foil around the filet and place in the oven. Bake for 25 minutes or until salmon is cooked all the way through. This dish goes especially well with green beans but whatever side you prefer will be just as delicious.

• Michelle Love
  • Staff Writer
  • mlove221@uab.edu