Smothered and Covered “DON’T PEEK!” Chicken

By on June 28, 2013
Google Images

I’ve never been a patient person. All my life it has had to be “right now or never” especially when it comes to food. I’m one of those people that sits and waits for food to finish cooking. I sit in front of the oven, crock pot, microwave, “insert other cooking machine here” and just tap my foot at the anticipation I feel to eat my delicious concoction. And when it does finally finish cooking, forget waiting for it to cool! There’s delicious food to be eaten! But I’m also a girl that likes a challenge so I force myself to wait patiently while everything coagulates and falls into place.

My biggest challenge came to me in the form of a chicken recipe I found on a delightful little website called Nutmeg Nanny. Apparently there’s a trend in recipes called “Don’t Peek Food Items”. The concept is placing your ingredients in a baking component and covering it and, here’s where the challenge lies, letting it bake for it’s entirety without taking a peek at it. Now, I just about lost it. This was the most interesting and shocking thing to have rocked my world since I found out what Scottland’s national animal is (it’s the unicorn. Not even joking. Google that stuff.). Now as someone that constantly checks my food because the excitement is just too much to handle, this concept really intrigued me. So I went in search of some delicious “Don’t Peek” recipes.

Thanks to the Nutmeg Nanny, I found a delicious recipe called “Smothered and Covered Chicken”. This recipe has everything I enjoy in a chicken recipe so I was instantly hooked. I tried it last night and I thoroughly couldn’t get enough of it! This recipe will have everyone wanting to lick the plate clean.

Smothered and Covered “Don’t Peek” Chicken

What You’ll Need

• 12 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 teaspoon of olive oil
  • 1 sliced green pepper
  • 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
  • 1 large sliced onion (now you can use a regular white onion but keep in mind it adds a really strong oniony flavor. I use a yellow sweet onion because it still has that onion flavor but it adds sweetness)
  • 1 minced clove of garlic (use ALL the garlic!)
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon dijon mustard (or creole mustard if you want an extra kick)
  • 1/2 a cup mozzarella cheese

Preheat your oven to 300 degrees. Heat olive oil in a pan and add the peppers, onions, and mushrooms and saute until soft. Once softened, add the garlic, salt and pepper, and oregano. Stir it all together until fragrant and set aside. In an 8×8 baking dish, slather your chicken evenly and generously with the dijon mustard. Take your veggies top your chicken with them. Next, cover the veggies with the cheese. Cover your baking dish with aluminum foil and place in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes. Now remember the point of this dish is to not peek at it while it’s baking. That allows everything to mix together and not have any deliciousness escape the baking dish. Serve with your favorite side or just by itself. Either way this dish it absolutely amazing and you’ll definitely want seconds!