- Students use alternative art materials for one-night-only exhibition June 18
- Digital Media wins national prize for TEDxBirmingham video
- Trip to New York brings national attention to Birmingham renaissance
- Clothes that work for new grads hitting the market
- Hagel emphasizes leadership to Naval Academy graduates
- Birmingham Chosen To Host 2015 C-USA Basketball Championships
- On The Money: How new graduates can take on the job market
- Canvas unrolled for new school year
- Tornadoes Leave Trail of Devastation (Photos)
- Campus closes early Tuesday due to severe thunderstorm
- Alabama does a double take: ‘Urinetown: the Musical’ hits home twice
- A+ Performance by Legend
- UAB Women’s Softball defeat Charlotte 49ers (8-0)
- A Fun and Fluffy Study Break In Lister Hill
- UAB Earth Month Festival
Westboro Baptist spreads an intolerable message
Even after the terror of the Boston bombings, evil still continues to walk free with plans to hurt the city more. The notorious Westboro Baptist Church – known for their homophobia and picketing of funerals for soldiers and terrorist victims – had planned to picket the funerals of the victims of the bombing.
The WBC filled Twitter with tweets celebrating the bombing and announcing their picketing plans. They sent tweets of a man comforting a woman with blood on the sidewalk and said “LOOK at this image – sent directly fm God! He promised to cast ur bloody carcasses on ur flag idol!” (US News). The WBC has been misusing God’s name and their fear mongering to spread true evil in the world, and the worst part is that they cannot be stopped legally.
The WBC is within its full rights of the first amendment which gives them the excuse to go around the country and spread whatever nonsense they can think of next. We can arrest terrorists. We can go to war to fight them. However, we are unable to stop the WBC from committing these heinous acts. Whenever something terrible and heartbreaking such as the Boston bombings or the Newtown school shooting, the WBC seizes the opportunity to say God is punishing us for allowing tolerance of homosexuals. It is an outrage and a scandal that these wicked people can continue to get away with these acts!
A petition was started on the White House’s “We the People” website to stop any members of the WBC from entering Boston and the WBC was nowhere to be seen. However, that isn’t going to be enough.
It doesn’t matter who it is to them: a fallen soldier who protected his comrades, a random citizen at the wrong place at the wrong time, or a happy child that will never get the chance to grow up. None of these are human lives in the eyes of the WBC!
The WBC has abused God’s name and continues to make all Churches look bad because of their satanic actions! The Church teaches love and tolerance, yet the WBC focuses on what shouldn’t be done and uses the most deadly weapon of all: hate.
The WBC has no right to call themselves a church; it utterly disgusts me that they do. Any organization that doesn’t appreciate human life or rights doesn’t deserve to exist and the WBC should be shut down for their actions.
An organization like theirs encourages more hatred to blossom and their celebration of such carnage only encourages those with sick minds to commit such acts. Terrorists are evil. Murder is evil.
The Westboro Baptist Church is evil. They respect and love no one but themselves and we are all disposable and meaningless to them. It saddens me that we currently have no way of dismantling
them, but I hope for the sake of the fallen and the living that we find a way.