- The Grand Budapest Hotel
- First African-American faculty member speaks at UAB
- UAB Relay for Life All-Night Event on the Green Starts Friday
- The Nile Project to be in residence at UAB’s Alys Stephens Center in 2015
- Libertarian Gary Johnson joins Tuesday panel for Earth Month
- Jalapeno Popper Pull Apart Bread
- Women’s Softball vs Tulsa a rain victim
- UAB, UAH student groups to host sustainability debate
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- UAB Celebrates Earth Month
- Cellular Stress May Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease
- Blazers Defeat Gamecocks
- Study War No More
- 2014-2015 UAB USGA General Election Results
- Celebrate Asian & Pacific Islander Heritage Month
Bus earns a name
Get ready to catch a ride on the Blazer Express.
That’s the name selected for UAB’s transit system from almost 2,000 names submitted in a “Name the Bus” contest held by Parking & Transportation Services. Blazer Express will make its debut in January 2014.
“We had a tremendous display of creativity from the entire UAB community,” says Christopher Clifford, associate vice president of Business and Auxiliary Services. “Blazer Express rose to the top because it best captures the true mission of the new transit system — moving Blazers quickly and easily around UAB.”
“This will be a state-of-the-art, high-tech transportation service and will enhance the campus experience for our customers and help ease parking challenges,” Clifford says.
Routes have been chosen for the system, and the fleet of 12 buses is being constructed now, says André Davis, director of Parking & Transportation Services.
“The fabrication of the equipment typically takes eight to 10 months, and we signed the contract in early May,” Davis says. “The buses are custom-made to our specifications.”
Anita Clemon, director of compliance for Human Relations, was the winner of an iPad Mini in a random drawing among the 55 people submitted “Blazer Express” to the bus-naming contest.
UAB News Service