Ratatouille Made Easy

By on July 23, 2013
Image via Google Images

Alright, gang. Let’s get down to business…to defeat the Huns. Admit it, you sang that last sentence. That’s right: today is a Disney day. Today is the day I sit and watch all of my favorite Disney movies in a row. You’re never too old for your favorite talking animals or princesses and today I proved that.  As I sat and watched these fabulous recollections from my equally fabulous childhood, I realized something interesting. No one draws food better than Walt. Every Disney movie I watched had a delectably animated food item drawn somewhere. The AristoCats: Need I remind everyone of that super delicious looking cracker the mouse ate with creme a la creme a la Edgar? Alice in Wonderland: Those cookies that said “Eat Me” were risking me reaching through the television. And then there’s Ratatouille. Being a cooking enthusiast, this movie has a very special place in my heart.  The ratatouille that Remy the rat makes looks so delicious my mouth started watering. I just had to have some of that delicious ratatouille!

The first step in my reaching this goal was first finding out exactly what ratatouille was. According to the internet, ratatouille is a French dish made entirely out of vegetables. This made my craving even more overpowering. So I typed in “ratatouille recipe” on Google and started clicking. What I found was a lot of very long and complicated recipes that would take me hours to finish. All of the recipes had me juggling different steps at the same time and that was just not going to happen. I was upset. I was let down. I was crushed. But even worse, I was hungry. So I kept looking. I typed in everything from “easy ratatouille” to “Disney’s ratatouille recipe”. Nothing seemed quick and easy enough for me to make in the time between my Disney marathon and work. In my searches I found that the ratatouille in the movie is a different variation on the traditional ratatouille recipe called confit byaldi.

After searching through countless search engines and even more let downs, I struck gold. A recipe that only took an hour to cook and was easy to make. The recipe was for vegetable tian but I decided to alter it a little so it would be more like the confit byaldi ratatouille in the movie. I found it on www.fortheloveofcooking.net.

Easy to Make Ratatouille

What You’ll Need

• 2 tablespoons of olive oil (divided)
  • 1 large sweet yellow onion, sliced
  • 2 cloves of minced garlic
  • 2 russet potatoes
  • 1 large zucchini
  • 1 yellow squash
  • 3 large roma tomatoes
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Balsamic vinaigrette

First, preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Coat a baking dish with olive oil cooking spray. Take your olive oil and drizzle over a sauce pan and place on your stove at medium heat.  Add your onions and saute until they’re see through. Add your garlic and saute until fragrant. Take your onion and garlic mixture and spread it out at the bottom of your sprayed baking dish. Next, slice all of your veggies into relatively thick slices and arrange them in an alternate pattern throughout the baking dish. Arrange them so the slices lean up against each other and they’re pseudo standing. Season the veggies with salt and pepper and drizzle more olive oil on top. Cover your baking dish with tin foil and bake for 35 minutes. Uncover the veggies and bake for an additional 25 minutes. When the second baking session is done, drizzle the balsamic vinaigrette over the cooked veggies and serve while hot. The original vegetable tian recipe calls for parmesan cheese instead of balsamic vinaigrette but either one is good. So take your ratatouille or tian or whichever recipe you prefer, turn on your favorite Disney movie and have a topsy turvy time.