Easy Skinny Chicken Enchiladas

By on August 12, 2013
Skinny Chicken Sour Cream Enchiladas

I’ve discussed my love of foods from other cultures before in my articles but I don’t think that I’ve expressed how vast and wonderful that love is. When I step into a restaurant of worldly cuisine, my tummy does a happy dance so extravagant that it would win the most coveted dance competition. I love the feeling I get when the various cornucopia of spices hits my tongue and I get a flavor so unique that I can’t wait to have another bite.

One of my absolute favorite types of cuisine is Mexican food. When I enter a Mexican restaurant, my mouth immediately begins to water. You know you’re in a good Mexican restaurant when the air is just thick with steam from the kitchen…and when you hear the roaring sound of people who have had one too many margaritas. Not only is Mexican food delicious and fun to eat, it’s also incredibly cheap. I can name at least four Mexican restaurants where I can have three tacos all for five bucks total. But where’s the fun in just buying your Mexican food?! You’ve gotta make it yourself to really appreciate the deliciousness.

Mexican food, in my opinion, is the easiest and most rewarding type of food you can attempt to cook. All of the ingredients for Mexican dishes are the same: meat, cheese, peppers, and there’s usually a tortilla involved. But accompanied with the simplicity of these recipes also comes a lot of grease and unneeded fat. Everyone has had the experience of picking up their quesadilla or taco and having to tilt it so the grease pours out onto your plate. It’s disturbing to think what all of that grease does in your stomach. Sadly, the greasy cheesy wonderfulness of all that Mexican food is a let down when you’re trying to lead a healthy lifestyle.

Determined to find a loophole to my diet so that I could enjoy my favorite Mexican dishes, I went to the internet like any responsible adult. I found a blog that piqued my interest and gave me some really interesting recipes. It’s called Skinny Mom Blog and I found a delicious enchiladas recipe that will cut calories, fat, and grease in half.

Skinny Chicken Sour Cream Enchiladas

What You’ll Need

16 oz. container of sour cream (I was naughty and used regular sour cream but the recipe calls for fat free. Don’t tell anyone!)

1 can fat free cream of chicken soup

1 tbsp. freshly chopped cilantro

2 1/2 cups of cooked and shredded chicken breasts (best way to do this is take your chicken breasts and boil them in water with celery, salt, pepper, and onion. This adds extra flavor and cooks your chicken thoroughly)

1 can of Rotel tomatoes and green chiles

1 cup chopped onion (I know that I’ve praised yellow onions before but for this dish a regular white onion will suffice)

8 low carb tortillas

1 cup of shredded colby jack cheese (pepper jack all the way, baby!)

Turn your oven on to bake at 350 degrees. First step, in a sauce pan, stir together your sour cream, chicken soup, and cilantro. Heat all the way through while stirring constantly and set aside on your stove. Next, combine your shredded chicken, onions,  and can of rotel in a heated sauce pan. Stir them together so that all of the juices are evenly combined and the onions are see through. Meanwhile, warm up your tortillas in the microwave. Make sure it’s very brief so that they don’t burn. Take your chicken mixture and your shredded cheese and place in each tortilla. Roll the tortillas up and place with the seam side down in your baking dish. Top your tortillas with the sour cream mixture and top again with your remaining cheeses. Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve with your favorite salsa and a deliciously dirty margarita and enjoy!