- ASC presents Take 6, “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year” Dec. 15
- Leeth named UAB School of Medicine assistant dean for strategic planning
- Coping with holiday grief
- New water plan saves big money
- Campus police offer holiday safety tips
- Alys Stephen Center Screens Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago
- Hospital feeds underprivileged new moms
- UAB’s Alys Stephens Center presents Yo-Yo Ma Dec. 6
- Southern Miss tops Blazers, 62-27, in season ending game
- Henry Panion selected for 2014 Alabama African-American History Calendar
- Enjoy Christmas at the Alys Dec. 2, “The Season’s First Jingle”
- Engineering’s Ning wins ASTM International award
- Collat School of Business unveils sign at celebration
- Heudebert elected master by American College of Physicians
- Anti-aging strategies can improve more than looks
GAME WEEK: Play your part and White-Out against Troy
With under a week to go before the 2013-2014 season opener against Troy, Blazer fans everywhere are elated at the prospects of a winning season with head coach Garrick McGee and company at the helm.
Fans have been sharing their predictions and expectations for the upcoming game on Blazertalk.com and one user, ‘blazerwkr’ stated this is the “first game for both so some rust to break out of, we’re in 2nd season of staff & they’re in 1st (at least on defense side) I think our D is in better shape than theirs due to staff in 2nd season plus I think the attitude & athleticism of our guys is better than what Troy has had in the past. 31-21 UAB ”
The Blazers will most likely don their all-white alternate uniforms against the Trojans this weekend, and the same has been asked of Blazer fans who plan to hit the road for the big game.
During UAB’s annual fan day, which was held this past Saturday August 24 at the Shops at Grand River, Coach McGee admonished fans to forgo their traditional UAB Green and join the team on the road to white-out Troys stadium.
Now in the past I have heard of teams whiting out their home stadiums for big games, but to white-out another teams stadium will be a tough challenge. However, if UAB fans are looking to make an impact and to have their presence known, everyone should play their part and join in the white-out together.
Imagine the feeling of confidence, and the power of synergy that a move like this will create for the team as they run out onto the field and see the stands overflowing with a sea of screaming fans dressed in white. This is exactly the kind of positive energy that can drive a team and propel them to the next level.
The Blazers finished last season with a disappointing 3-9 overall record, a season that began with an opening game against Troy that the Blazers lost 39-29 during coach McGees debut. UAB trailed early in that game, but managed to rally in the 2nd and 3rd quarters to close the gap on Troys lead. However, in the 4th quarter there were a pair of turnovers that proved fatal for the Green and Gold and started a downward spiral that the Blazers were unable to pull out.
But one thing is for certain, fans are anxious. Anxious for a win. It does not matter if they need to wear white, green, gold, or pink Blazer fans just want a “W”.
Another blazertalk.com user known as “old dragon” commented “Lets be good fans… Even if you think it is stupid it shows the team unity and support. They are (the team) excited about it and if they take the field and see even a smaller unified group it will build confidence. Ill be in my white, come on and join me!”
The first game of the season against Troy is set for August 31, 2013 at 6:00. Play your part and wear white.