- Grant enables UAB Hospital staff to feed underprivileged moms of newborns
- Military man coming to UAB for first time, graduates Saturday
- UAB’s College of Arts and Sciences to honor distinguished alumni and friends
- ‘Tis the season of giving — UAB launches holiday blood drive
- How a cybersecurity expert protects his smartphone
- ASC presents Take 6, “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year” Dec. 15
- Leeth named UAB School of Medicine assistant dean for strategic planning
- Coping with holiday grief
- New water plan saves big money
- Campus police offer holiday safety tips
- Alys Stephen Center Screens Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago
- Hospital feeds underprivileged new moms
- UAB’s Alys Stephens Center presents Yo-Yo Ma Dec. 6
- Southern Miss tops Blazers, 62-27, in season ending game
- Henry Panion selected for 2014 Alabama African-American History Calendar
Karmin headlines Welcome Week Concert on the Green
Pop duo Karmin will perform a free concert at 7 p.m. Sunday, August 25, 2013, at UAB’s Concert on the Green, preceded by a 6 p.m. public meet-and-greet at the UAB Dining Commons Plaza.
The event is one of many during Welcome Week, celebrating students’ return to campus for the fall semester. The show is open to the public and will take place on the Campus Green located at 9th Ave. South.
American duo Karmin is Amy Ellis and Nick Noonan. Her rap flow and R&B influenced pop vocals combine with his multi-instrumental talent and smooth harmonies; their chemistry and attitude create an energetic and theatric pop and hip-hop blend. Their fans catapulted them into the mainstream after they gained notoriety for their covers on YouTube. They count as fans entertainment heavyweights L.A. Reid, Kanye West, Ashton Kutcher, Timbaland, Beyonce, Chris Brown and Questlove. Karmin may be best known for their song “Brokenhearted,” which reached the top 20 in the United States and the top 10 in Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom, and “Hello,” which reached No. 1 on the Billboard Dance Chart in the U.S.
Performers Karmin and Travis Porter received the most votes among prospective acts from UAB students in the spring. While Travis Porter was originally scheduled, it was decided that their material was not appropriate for the outdoor venue.
Younger Siblings, a UAB student band and winners of the 2013 Battle of the Bands, will open for Karmin. The concert will conclude with a spectacular fireworks show.
The annual fall concert is a UAB campus tradition and one of many events scheduled to welcome students back to campus. The concert is sponsored by UAB’s Student Activities Council, Undergraduate Student Government Association and the Alys Stephens Performing Arts Center. For more information, call 205-934-8225.