- Campus copes with holiday grief
- New water plan saves big money
- Campus police offer holiday safety tips
- Alys Stephen Center Screens Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago
- Hospital feeds underprivileged new moms
- UAB’s Alys Stephens Center presents Yo-Yo Ma Dec. 6
- Southern Miss tops Blazers, 62-27, in season ending game
- Henry Panion selected for 2014 Alabama African-American History Calendar
- Enjoy Christmas at the Alys Dec. 2, “The Season’s First Jingle”
- Engineering’s Ning wins ASTM International award
- Collat School of Business unveils sign at celebration
- Heudebert elected master by American College of Physicians
- Anti-aging strategies can improve more than looks
- On campus ‘blackout’ taken in stride
- Bariatric Surgery Services to present annual fashion show Nov. 25
Successful season opener
The UAB women’s soccer team officially kicked off the 2013 regular season by defeating Vanderbilt, 3-1, on Friday evening. Goals by Abby Phillips and Johanna Liney and with the help of an own goal by the Commodores backed a strong showing by Angelica Jimenez in net to secure the Blazer victory.
“Our team as a unit played with a lot of heart and Angie was huge and was there when we needed her and really kept us in it,” said head coach Harold Warren.
Despite being out-shot by Vanderbilt (0-1-0) 19-6, UAB (1-0-0) was able to make the most of the opportunities they had.
“We came out with some jitters and knew that they were going to come at us from the beginning,” Warren said. “But we were able to hold them off and started to build on some of our possessions and get a couple goals.”
Phillips put the Blazers on the board first in the 28th-minute, heading in a pass from outside the box from Erin Pincombe. Eight minutes later, Liney was able to convert a penalty kick to give the Blazers a 2-0 advantage.
Midway through the second half with the Blazers pressing, Liney sent a crossing pass in front of the Vanderbilt goal and the ball was headed into the back of the net by a Commodore defender who was trying to clear the ball to put the Blazers up 3-0.
Vanderbilt got one back late in the game. Off a corner kick, Jimenez was able to come up with the initial save but the rebound was knocked in by Taylor Richardson to get the Commodores on the board.
“It’s crucial to get off to a good start. I was telling the girls before the game that you can play pretty or play ugly but you have to get it done either way,” said Warren. “This is one of the toughest weekends of the year for us, with Vanderbilt tonight and Ole Miss on Sunday, and getting a win and knowing that we can win against a good team is crucial.”
Jimenez (1-0-0) recorded four saves and allowed one goal on the night to pick up her first collegiate win.
Liney and Phillips led the Blazers with two shots each and accounted for all three of the Blazers’ shots on goal. Amy Harrison and Kasey Johnson also tallied a shot in the win.
Story from UABsports.com