Velveeta Cheesy Goodness Pasta

By on August 1, 2013
By Michelle Love, Staff Writer; Art by Daniel Twieg/Photo Editor

It’s time to talk about that delicious love affair that everyone has but doesn’t speak of. Cheese. Cheese is one of those things that is universally loved. You can ask anyone, literally anyone, “Do you love cheese?” And even lactose intolerant people will shout “YES I DOOOOOOO!” And who can blame them? Cheese goes with everything! Meat, pasta, wine, beer, rice. Even desserts have cheese in them! Cheese is truly one of the best foods every created because not only do you have hundreds of choices to choose from but you can have it in so many different ways. There’s string cheese and cheese sticks (fried or baked you know you love them) and cheese wheels! You have so many possibilities! But I’m getting carried away. My point is that cheese is one of greatest ingredients you can use in a recipe.

Cheese’s biggest fans are me and my fellow college comrades. College students will put cheese on everything. The college student motto is “If it’s edible, you can put cheese on it”. Some college students have a preference for what they wish to have covered in cheese. My preference (and if you’ve been reading my articles enough you would be able to guess) is pasta. I love cheesy sauces. As much as arrabiata (spicy)  red sauce warms my heart and my tummy, cheesy sauces like alfredo sauce just melts my butter. It coats the pasta completely so that every bite is filled with rich, gooey cheesy tastes.

My favorite cheesey friend is Velveeta cheese and Rotel tomatoes. My childhood is filled with memories of my parents and I doing fondu nights.  For some reason this unlikely pair makes the most delicious combination of spicy and salty that you’ve ever tasted. The pair is also incredibly convenient for college students considering they’re cheap and you can buy them in bulk. I was curious to see if there were any recipes that combined my three loves of pasta, Velveeta, and Rotel so i took to Kraft.com and did a very excited search. I found a wonderful little recipe on the first try and I can’t wait to share it with you.

Velveeta Cheesy Goodness Pasta

What You’ll Need

1 1/2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into cubes)

2 cups of water

3 cups of rotini twist pasta

1 package of frozen broccoli, cauliflower, and carrot blend

1 can of Rotel diced tomatoes and green chili

1/2 pound of Velveeta cut into cubes

Take a skillet and spray with olive oil. Place on your stove on medium heat. Cook your cubed chicken until thoroughly cooked through. Add water to your skillet and bring to a boil. Add your pasta, cover,  and cook until al dente or completely cooked. Add your remaining ingredients and stir. Cover again and continue cooking until the Velveeta is melted completely and the vegetables are tender. This is probably one of the easiest recipes I’ve ever found and also one of the cheapest. I’m sure my fellow college mates will appreciate this delicious recipe once, twice, maybe even three times a week.