- Campus copes with holiday grief
- New water plan saves big money
- Campus police offer holiday safety tips
- Alys Stephen Center Screens Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago
- Hospital feeds underprivileged new moms
- UAB’s Alys Stephens Center presents Yo-Yo Ma Dec. 6
- Southern Miss tops Blazers, 62-27, in season ending game
- Henry Panion selected for 2014 Alabama African-American History Calendar
- Enjoy Christmas at the Alys Dec. 2, “The Season’s First Jingle”
- Engineering’s Ning wins ASTM International award
- Collat School of Business unveils sign at celebration
- Heudebert elected master by American College of Physicians
- Anti-aging strategies can improve more than looks
- On campus ‘blackout’ taken in stride
- Bariatric Surgery Services to present annual fashion show Nov. 25
Volleyball season less than a month away
Fall is on its way and that means another sports season is right around the corner. A recent preseason poll shows that UAB’s women’s volleyball team has been picked to finish seventh out of 15 teams in Conference USA, five of which all shared first place votes.
There are high hopes and expectations for the 2013 UAB women’s volleyball team. They are set to return 12 women from last year’s lineup, including sophomore, Sam Skinner, UAB’s first volleyball player to earn the C-USA Freshman of the Year honor.
Head coach Kerry Messersmith commented on Sam’s recent success. “Obviously, Sam is coming off an outstanding season and is very deserving of this honor. To be recognized with some of the top players in the conference is a tremendous accomplishment and I look forward to watching her grow into an even better volleyball player as we start the new season.”
Joining Kerry Messersmith on the 2013 staff are assistant coaches Bailey Coleman and Shawn Matthews.
Also joining the team this year are transfers Bethanie Thomas (South Carolina) and Sarah Rishell (American University).
The volleyball team starts the 2013 season with the UAB/Samford Volleyball Challenge at Bartow Arena on August 30-31. The first game of the season is set for Friday August 30 against Mercer at 10 a.m.