Blazers rank 20/22 in nation, preparing for Mercer

By on September 20, 2013
Photo by Sarah Adkins

The UAB men’s soccer team remains a top 25 team for the third consecutive week, according to the most recent national polls.

The Blazers (3-1-1) are ranked 20th/22nd in the nation as they head into Saturday’s game against Mercer (1-5-0), according to the NSCAA/Continental Tire Poll and the Soccer America Poll respectively.

“I’m happy for our team,” said Head Coach Mike Getman. “I think (the ranking)’s good publicity-wise. I think it’s good for our players to know that other people recognize how they’ve done.”

The current rankings come after a frustrating weekend for the Blazers, who dropped from the No. 8 position after they tied with Charlotte and lost to East Tennessee in the 16th “Soccer for a Cure” Classic.

“It was a little bit disappointing, but I don’t think it changes who we are,” Getman said. “We know we have things to work on and get better at, and I think this has been a really good week of practice. So I’m certainly feeling very positive about where we are and where we’re headed.”

“Obviously, we’re a little bit disappointed from our results last week,” said senior midfielder Chase Wickham. “But this week has been just a time to regroup and get our focus back and prepare for another win Saturday.”

Despite the fact that UAB beat Mercer 2-1 in last year’s season opener, Getman says he’s anticipating a challenging match.

“They’re a very big, physical team,” he said. “They tend to be fairly direct in their style. They put a lot of pressure on you by playing balls in the air and battling for all the loose balls . . . so I expect it to be a tough, tough game from start to finish.”

“I expect them to come out hard,” Wickham said. “They’re always a hard-working team. They’re not necessarily the most technical, but as long as we stay focused we should be able to pass the ball and get around them and create a lot of chances (to score).”

Wickham said the team got a bit off-track last weekend, but they’ve regrouped and are ready for the game: “The main thing for us is just to come back out and be disciplined, start out with the foundation of doing our job and doing it right all the time.”

Come join the Green Army in supporting the Blazers Saturday night at 7:00 at West Campus field!