Coconut Beef Curry Stew

By on September 30, 2013
DSC_0395sm

We all have those television shows to whom we become addicted. We’ve watched every episode (sometimes in one sitting. Thanks, Netflix!) and know every storyline. We become indebted in the characters lives and react more strongly to the events in their lives than our own. But eventually, those stories that we’ve grown to accept into our lives and our homes has to go off the air. And then we’re left to comb the vast world that is TV land for another show. This past weekend, that show that went to the great rerun station in the sky was Dexter. For those of you unfamiliar with this amazing drama about a  serial serial killer killer (have you been paying attention?), the show ended its eight season run this past Sunday night on Showtime. I went through the usual roller coaster of emotions when a show ends: fear that the finale won’t live up to my expectations; sadness that I won’t see my favorite characters go through new adventures; and finally happiness that our lead characters may finally find closure.

I’ve gone through this circus of feelings before. When Weeds ended I almost had a heart attack I was so sad. And don’t even get me started about the Scrubs finale. I was crying so hard I had to go rewatch it because I couldn’t hear anything that was happening. Yes, during these sad and somewhat traumatizing events, it’s apparent that we need something to comfort us and tell us, “There could always be a spinoff!” For me, my comfort is something delicious to eat while I watch the show. I find that if I have food in my hand while I watch a suspenseful finale, I don’t flail my arms about in frustration or happiness as much and it calms me just enough so I can enjoy the end to my favorite shows. For the end of Dexter, I needed something savory, sweet, and meaty to go along with the show’s opening credits, which show Dexter making a delicious and (alluding to) cannibalistic breakfast.

So I sat down and analyzed the components I wanted in my finale meal. Instantly, I thought of a coconut beef curry stew. Many of you college students know of Surin’s delicious coconut soup. It’s full of flavor and is sure to satisfy. I have customers ask for it at the restaurant quite often and have to inform them that sadly we don’t serve coconut soup. I rarely go to Surin because it’s my personal belief that it’s overly priced and I can make the same thing at home for half the cost. So, when I thought of having the coconut soup for my Dexter meal I decided to make it myself. I know some of you may think that it’s hard to make coconut soup as delicious as Surin’s but I’ve found a recipe that’s even more delicious and cheaper to make.

What You’ll Need

• 2 pounds of cubed stew beef
  • 5 tablespoons of your favorite heat curry powder
  • 1/2-1 can of coconut milk (just depends on how strong you want the coconut taste to be)
  • 1 tablespoon of cumin powder
  • salt to taste
  • 2 medium carrots
  • 2 potatoes
  • 1 onion
  • 1/2 cup of small button mushrooms
  • 1 cup of water
  • fresh basil
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil

First, chop your onion into small pieces and peel and cube your carrots and potatoes. Take a skillet, and add your vegetable oil. Heat your skillet on medium high heat and brown your onion and cook your beef for about 2 1/2 minutes. Add your curry and cumin powder, salt, coconut milk, and water. Bring these ingredients to a boil and then transfer to a crock pot for four hours on high. Half an hour before you’re ready to serve, put your potatoes, carrots and basil in the crock pot with the stew. Serve with a big glass of your favorite beverage, curl up, and say goodbye to your favorite television friends.

Happy Eating!