- Students use alternative art materials for one-night-only exhibition June 18
- Digital Media wins national prize for TEDxBirmingham video
- Trip to New York brings national attention to Birmingham renaissance
- Clothes that work for new grads hitting the market
- Hagel emphasizes leadership to Naval Academy graduates
- Birmingham Chosen To Host 2015 C-USA Basketball Championships
- On The Money: How new graduates can take on the job market
- Canvas unrolled for new school year
- Tornadoes Leave Trail of Devastation (Photos)
- Campus closes early Tuesday due to severe thunderstorm
- Alabama does a double take: ‘Urinetown: the Musical’ hits home twice
- A+ Performance by Legend
- UAB Women’s Softball defeat Charlotte 49ers (8-0)
- A Fun and Fluffy Study Break In Lister Hill
- UAB Earth Month Festival
Viewpoint: J.K. Rowling to Write Movie expanding Harry Potter Universe
On September 12, 2013, millions – if not billions – of fans received the joyous news that there would be a ninth film in the Harry Potter universe created by J.K. Rowling. To top it all off it has been announced “that Rowling will write the screenplay for a movie based on ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,’ her textbook about the magical universe she created in the Potter stories” (CBS News). This will be Rowling’s first time writing a screenplay and so fans will be receiving more from the magical universe she created while she experiences the challenge of a new type of writing.
Rowling says that the film will be about the book’s – “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” – fictitious author, Newt Scamander and will be set in New York seventy years prior to the original series. Rowling commented that the film is neither a prequel nor sequel to her magical book series but rather an extension of the magical universe she has created. I think this is a fine idea because – as much as I love the Harry Potter books – Harry’s story is finished. To see some of the fictional historical figures Rowling has created will be different and exciting. While mentioned in the series, Newt Scamander has never appeared in a film. With this film, we as fans will be enjoying a new magical adventure for the first time without any foreknowledge from reading like it was with Harry Potter. All fans received were tidbits throughout the series and its spinoffs, so we have no idea what to expect this time around.
Fans are more than likely to receive a worthy addition to the Harry Potter universe as Rowling has stated that “I always said that I would only revisit the wizarding world if I had an idea that I was really excited about and this is it” (CBS News). Rowling is confident enough in this idea so that is more than enough legitimacy to know we will receive a movie with the same care that brought us the seven books of Harry Potter.
Nothing is written in stone yet but Rowling suspects that this film will be the first in a series. Whether that means she has more plans for Newt Scamander or others wizards and witches of her universe we are still in the dark, but it is good to know Rowling is still breathing life into what brought about the new age of reading with Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.