- How a cybersecurity expert protects his smartphone
- ASC presents Take 6, “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year” Dec. 15
- Leeth named UAB School of Medicine assistant dean for strategic planning
- Coping with holiday grief
- New water plan saves big money
- Campus police offer holiday safety tips
- Alys Stephen Center Screens Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago
- Hospital feeds underprivileged new moms
- UAB’s Alys Stephens Center presents Yo-Yo Ma Dec. 6
- Southern Miss tops Blazers, 62-27, in season ending game
- Henry Panion selected for 2014 Alabama African-American History Calendar
- Enjoy Christmas at the Alys Dec. 2, “The Season’s First Jingle”
- Engineering’s Ning wins ASTM International award
- Collat School of Business unveils sign at celebration
- Heudebert elected master by American College of Physicians
Viewpoint: J.K. Rowling to Write Movie expanding Harry Potter Universe
On September 12, 2013, millions – if not billions – of fans received the joyous news that there would be a ninth film in the Harry Potter universe created by J.K. Rowling. To top it all off it has been announced “that Rowling will write the screenplay for a movie based on ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,’ her textbook about the magical universe she created in the Potter stories” (CBS News). This will be Rowling’s first time writing a screenplay and so fans will be receiving more from the magical universe she created while she experiences the challenge of a new type of writing.
Rowling says that the film will be about the book’s – “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” – fictitious author, Newt Scamander and will be set in New York seventy years prior to the original series. Rowling commented that the film is neither a prequel nor sequel to her magical book series but rather an extension of the magical universe she has created. I think this is a fine idea because – as much as I love the Harry Potter books – Harry’s story is finished. To see some of the fictional historical figures Rowling has created will be different and exciting. While mentioned in the series, Newt Scamander has never appeared in a film. With this film, we as fans will be enjoying a new magical adventure for the first time without any foreknowledge from reading like it was with Harry Potter. All fans received were tidbits throughout the series and its spinoffs, so we have no idea what to expect this time around.
Fans are more than likely to receive a worthy addition to the Harry Potter universe as Rowling has stated that “I always said that I would only revisit the wizarding world if I had an idea that I was really excited about and this is it” (CBS News). Rowling is confident enough in this idea so that is more than enough legitimacy to know we will receive a movie with the same care that brought us the seven books of Harry Potter.
Nothing is written in stone yet but Rowling suspects that this film will be the first in a series. Whether that means she has more plans for Newt Scamander or others wizards and witches of her universe we are still in the dark, but it is good to know Rowling is still breathing life into what brought about the new age of reading with Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.