- Grant enables UAB Hospital staff to feed underprivileged moms of newborns
- Military man coming to UAB for first time, graduates Saturday
- UAB’s College of Arts and Sciences to honor distinguished alumni and friends
- ‘Tis the season of giving — UAB launches holiday blood drive
- How a cybersecurity expert protects his smartphone
- ASC presents Take 6, “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year” Dec. 15
- Leeth named UAB School of Medicine assistant dean for strategic planning
- Coping with holiday grief
- New water plan saves big money
- Campus police offer holiday safety tips
- Alys Stephen Center Screens Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago
- Hospital feeds underprivileged new moms
- UAB’s Alys Stephens Center presents Yo-Yo Ma Dec. 6
- Southern Miss tops Blazers, 62-27, in season ending game
- Henry Panion selected for 2014 Alabama African-American History Calendar
Jumbo Ooey and Gooey Blueberry Muffins
We all geek out about something. Everyone has that one thing that as soon as the subject comes up their face could have lit up the stadium at the Super Bowl this past year. These obsessions help us make friends and find hobbies that excite us down to our very toes. They help define who we are as people and help us appreciate other people’s geek out moments. I have many geeky obsessions that make me squee like a little girl at Christmas time but as a cooking enthusiast (a foodie as we’re known to the masses), I have only one geeky obsession: Baking.
I love baking. I spent an entire summer once making cakes and cookies and muffins for everyone I know…and for myself too (one is not the loneliest number when you have cake). It’s therapeutic and fun and you get to taste the fruit of your efforts when you’re done! So yes, baking is my favorite geeky cooking endeavor. Cakes are probably my second favorite treat to bake only because icing them is one of the worst experiences I’ve had cooking. My number one favorite thing to bake that makes me twist around my kitchen like a Disney Princess are muffins. There’s just something about tearing open a delicious gooey blueberry muffin that just makes my stomach rumble.
When I was little and Bruno’s supermarkets were still around, my family would go out and by the giant blueberry muffins from their bakery because they were the best. Usually, the tops of muffins are the gooiest while the stumps are usually dry and grody. What was so amazing about Bruno’s muffins was the entire muffin was gooey and sticky and perfect. After all of the Bruno’s markets closed down I gave up ever finding that perfect muffin texture (upon reading this article my boyfriend couldn’t stop giggling so save all giggling for after class, please). Then I found a delightful blog (Sally’s Baking Addiction) that told me I could find my gooey muffins again!
Jumbo Ooey and Gooey Blueberry Muffins
What You’ll Need
- 3 cups of all purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (original recipe called for 1/2 a teaspoon but I really like vanilla so tell THAT to your mama)
- 1 1/2 cups of blueberries (frozen or fresh both work well)
First, preheat your oven to 425 degrees and spray your muffin tin (jumbo size or small size whatever you’re in the mood for) with nonstick spray. In a large bowl, mix all of your dry ingredients together until thoroughly combined and set the bowl aside. In another bowl, whisk together your eggs and sugar. Slowly add your milk, oil, and vanilla extract and mix until combined. Fold your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and mix BY HAND! When everything is mixed enough that there’s no more flour on the bottom or sides of the bowl, fold in your blueberries. Pour your batter into the muffin tins and bake for 5 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 350 and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. This will ensure the muffin’s delicious gooey texture. The only thing left to do is pour yourself a big glass of milk and let the ooey gooey muffins fill your tummy.