- ASC presents Take 6, “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year” Dec. 15
- Leeth named UAB School of Medicine assistant dean for strategic planning
- Coping with holiday grief
- New water plan saves big money
- Campus police offer holiday safety tips
- Alys Stephen Center Screens Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago
- Hospital feeds underprivileged new moms
- UAB’s Alys Stephens Center presents Yo-Yo Ma Dec. 6
- Southern Miss tops Blazers, 62-27, in season ending game
- Henry Panion selected for 2014 Alabama African-American History Calendar
- Enjoy Christmas at the Alys Dec. 2, “The Season’s First Jingle”
- Engineering’s Ning wins ASTM International award
- Collat School of Business unveils sign at celebration
- Heudebert elected master by American College of Physicians
- Anti-aging strategies can improve more than looks
Little lost isles of food
UAB Campus Restaurants is expanding more rapidly than ever with new additions of restaurants and food trucks across campus.
UAB has contracted local food trucks to be available for students, faculty and alumni at the Mini Park Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. The food trucks include Cantina on Wheels, Melt, Off the Hook, and Spoonfed Grill. Dining dollars will be accepted at all mobile sites.
Jump Asian Express Food Truck, the winner of last year’s Food Truck War, will also be joining the local Birmingham food trucks in the Mini Park beginning in the middle of fall semester. Jump will offer three standard Chinese options and a weekly, rotating menu option. Meal plans will be accepted at this location.
Several changes have been made at existing UAB Campus Restaurants. The Commons has now transitioned into an all-you-can-eat dining facility for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The hours of operation are Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.- 8 p.m. and Saturday-Sunday, 10:30 a.m.-7 p.m.
The Diner is now open for lunch and offers a Simply-to-Go program called Take 4. This program allows students to use a meal plan to purchase grab & go items from the coolers. The Diner’s new business hours are Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.-1 a.m. and Saturday-Sunday, 2 p.m.-2 a.m.
The PowerZone in the Campus Recreation Center is offering additional menu options this year, and a Simply-To-Go station has opened in Campbell Hall.
While students and faculty have already dined at several new establishments and food trucks, more is on the way! The C-Store has moved from The Diner to the first floor of Camp Hall. An opening date will be announced soon.
WOW Cafe will be opening this month across from Blount Hall, right behind Snoozy’s Bookstore. Meal plans will be accepted at this location. A Chic-Fil-A food trailer will also be available later in the fall semester.
Sandella’s is expected to open in the Lister Hill Library this spring. “It will be a flatbread cafe to serve flatbreads, pizzas, soup, salads and sandwiches. We’re very excited to have a full sit down restaurant on the east side of campus!” said Katelyn Armstrong, Marketing Manager for UAB Campus Restaurants.
UAB Campus Restaurants will notify UAB students and faculty as each restaurant opens on their associated website. A grand opening will be held for each location that opens over the fall semester.
UAB Campus Restaurants is asking students for input to improve, innovate and influence dining on campus by having Dinner with the Director. Students will be offered a free, catered meal at the program in exchange for dining suggestions. Applications are available at http://www.uab.edu/dining/news-and-events/264-dinnerwiththedirector.