- The Grand Budapest Hotel
- First African-American faculty member speaks at UAB
- UAB Relay for Life All-Night Event on the Green Starts Friday
- The Nile Project to be in residence at UAB’s Alys Stephens Center in 2015
- Libertarian Gary Johnson joins Tuesday panel for Earth Month
- Jalapeno Popper Pull Apart Bread
- Women’s Softball vs Tulsa a rain victim
- UAB, UAH student groups to host sustainability debate
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- UAB Celebrates Earth Month
- Cellular Stress May Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease
- Blazers Defeat Gamecocks
- Study War No More
- 2014-2015 UAB USGA General Election Results
- Celebrate Asian & Pacific Islander Heritage Month
No. 8 women’s soccer beats Arkansas-Little Rock, 3-1
The No. 8 in the region, UAB women’s soccer team defeated Arkansas-Little Rock Friday night, 3-1.
With the win, the Blazers are 7-2-0, which is the highest number of wins in a single season for the team under Head Coach Harold Warren.
The Blazers came out strong Friday night, scoring two goals in the first half.
“We played very well tonight,” Warren said. “We tried some new things and it worked out well for us. Arkansas-Little Rock used high pressure defending and we were able circulate the ball and get it forward. That created good opportunities for us. We really were able to control the tempo of the game tonight.”
Fourteen minutes into the game, sophomore midfielder Paige Hanks scored the first goal of the night and her fifth goal of the season. Hanks currently leads the team in goals.
UALR’s defense was busy for the rest of the first half, with three saves for its freshman goalkeeper Sarah Cavanagh. But in the 45th minute, UAB’s Kasey Johnson, a redshirt-freshman forward, scored her fourth goal of the season.
During the second half, UALR tried to gain some momentum, but they only managed to score once. In the 59th minute, junior midfielder Alyson Rohane shot a ball that bounced off a UAB player before going into the net. The goal was credited as an own-goal.
UAB’s Kimberly Fincher scored the game’s final goal in the 77th minute. This marked the freshman forward’s third goal of the season.
“We have a grown a lot and learned a lot so far this season,” Warren said. “We just closed one chapter and the girls know we are just starting another. Everything looks good as we head into conference play.”
The UALR game was UAB’s last non-conference match, and the team will play its conference opener Friday, September 27 at MTSU at 7:00.