Perfect Slow Cooker Pork Chops with Mustard Sauce

By on September 19, 2013
Caption via google images

Since I’ve been, well, ALIVE, I’ve noticed that there’s two items that you can really butcher when cooking–no pun intended, I swear. Those items are scallops and pork chops. Now, I’ll tackle scallops another day when I feel I actually have the right to say, “I can make a darn good scallop.” But for now, let’s look at the pork chop. It’s a divine little cut of meat. Pork loin chops are the cut of meat from the back of the loin of the pork and are full of delicious, juicy flavor. Well, that is if you cook it right. I’m twenty two years old, and I still have yet to have a pork chop that is full of flavor and retains that juicy deliciousness.

Now since I’ve started the wonderful hobby of cooking, I’ve certainly tried my hardest to create a good pork chop. I’ve done everything. I’ve tried to bake them, braise them, grill them and it may just be the curse of the college student but I just can’t seem to make a good pork chop. Audience says, “Awwwwwwwwww.” Well now don’t you fret, audience! Because lucky for me, a good friend of mine’s mother is a cooking goddess and has given me a helpful little hint. While I was discussing my pot roast fancies and how I make a really amazing and almost sinful pot roast (maybe if you’re good, I’ll give that little diddy away), she asked me, “Have you tried searing it on all  sides before you roast it?” And then it hit me. If the same tactic could be used for pot roast, why not for pork chops also??? Could it be so?!

Answer: Yes. It is so. I took a few recipes I found online and combined them together so I could make the perfect pot roast. It took some tweeking but I finally have a recipe for pork chops that I am sincerely proud of.

Slow Cooker Pork Chops with Mustard Sauce

What You’ll Need

• 3 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 4 1-inch thick boneless pork chops
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 2 finely chopped shallots
  • 1 cup of dry white wine
  • 2 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 2-3 tablespoons Dijon mustard (I like my sauce super mustardy)
  • 1 tablespoon of freshly chopped tarragon
  • 1 packet of dry onion soup mix
  • 1 cup of water
  • 3/4 cups red wine
  • minced garlic
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce

Okay so here’s the deal, take a pan and drizzle your olive oil on the surface. Turn your stove on to medium-high heat. Season your pork chops with salt and pepper generously and sear them lightly in the olive oil on all sides. Next, take your pork chops and place them in your slow cooker or crock pot with the soup packet’s contents.  Also, take your juices from the searing pan and save those puppies! You’re gonna need them for the sauce. Take your water, wine, garlic and soy sauce and poor on top of all of your chops in the slow cooker. Make sure that you get them all good and drenched! So cover your pork chops and let them cook for four hours. By the way, just a fun fact that my cooking goddess also told me: when using the slow cooker, try your hardest to not lift the lid. Every time you remove the lid it increases your cooking time and that is no bueno, senorita. So it’s been about four hours in our little imaginary kitchen, let’s start on the mustard sauce, shall we? Take your yummy seared bits from your searing pan and turn them back on the burner. Add a little more oil so they heat up and then add the shallots. Cook until the shallots are soft. Add the wine and simmer until you notice the amount of wine in the pan has reduced by half. That means the alcohol has evaporated. Next, add your cream and simmer until your sauce starts to thicken then add all of your Dijon mustard. Take your chopped tarragon and add it to the sauce and let it simmer. After it’s been four hours, take your pork chops out of the slow cooker and top them with the mustard. Serve with a nice veggie or a starch and enjoy! Oh and that gravy from the slow cooker, that’s delicious too. Just so you know. Happy Eating!