Viewpoint: Take time for yourself

By on September 20, 2013
ForumOpinion

It’s not surprise that I, like most of my friends, love the television show Parks and Recreation. What’s not to love, am I right? It contains some of the most unique story lines and characters in primetime right now.

I’ve been watching it in bulk lately in order to prepare for the new season coming up, so I’ve just now gotten caught up with everyone else (I know I’m behind the times). One of the best things I’ve picked up from this show is the idea to “treat yo’ self.” If you haven’t seen Parks and Rec, then you can probably still infer what this means: take time to treat yourself.

I think this idea is vital for students and adults. As a kid, we were instructed when to treat ourselves. I mean, we had daily, scheduled nap times. Parents were always packing our lunches, making sure our homework got done, and that we had clean clothes to wear. It’s ridiculous how much there is to do when you think about your day-to-day life.

And that’s exactly why you should treat yourself. Taking off days to do things for yourself that you don’t usually do is a fantastic way to relax, reduce stress, and feel like you’re important. I know saying that you have to think that you’re important feels like a middle school counselor, but it’s true: the only way you’ll do anything for yourself is if you feel you are worthy. And everybody is worthy of a day off.

This past Saturday, I had to get a new laptop. What could be more stressful, right? There are so many things to consider when buying a laptop, that it can be overwhelming. Rather than letting it add to the list of 50 million other things I had to do over the weekend, my girlfriend and I decided to make a day of it.

On the way back, we stopped at a cemetery that is located on the tip of a hill in the area, where the founder of Scottsboro and his wife were buried. Then, we stopped at a park that’s located on the edge of the mountain, overlooking the Tennessee River. The sun was beginning to set and light was reflecting off the water. It was an amazing view. We just stopped and stood on the rocks.

Being in nature was a great way to end our trip before the drive home. We were able to relax and just stop our bodies and minds from overworking. That’s what treating yourself should feel like: a reward.

Students and adults so often get caught up the daily errands that have to get done, that we all forget to give ourselves a break. We’re all human: that means we have to allow ourselves to recharge.

I highly recommend for anyone with high stress levels, a painstaking job, anxiety, or just a busy schedule to take some time for themselves. It doesn’t have to be a vacation, or a shopping spree; it could just be a day at home without getting on Facebook or having a nice dinner date with a friend or significant other.

Allowing yourself to recharge will rejuvenate energy levels, increase social ease, and reduce stress. So, treat yo’ self!