- Grant enables UAB Hospital staff to feed underprivileged moms of newborns
- Military man coming to UAB for first time, graduates Saturday
- UAB’s College of Arts and Sciences to honor distinguished alumni and friends
- ‘Tis the season of giving — UAB launches holiday blood drive
- How a cybersecurity expert protects his smartphone
- ASC presents Take 6, “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year” Dec. 15
- Leeth named UAB School of Medicine assistant dean for strategic planning
- Coping with holiday grief
- New water plan saves big money
- Campus police offer holiday safety tips
- Alys Stephen Center Screens Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago
- Hospital feeds underprivileged new moms
- UAB’s Alys Stephens Center presents Yo-Yo Ma Dec. 6
- Southern Miss tops Blazers, 62-27, in season ending game
- Henry Panion selected for 2014 Alabama African-American History Calendar
UAB Men’s Soccer team collects a pair of wins @ VCU Classic
The UAB Men’s Soccer team dominated at the VCU Classic this weekend by collecting a pair of wins on the road to open the season. They first beat no. 24 VCU 4-0 @ the Sportsbackers Stadium in Richmond, VA, on Friday night and then returned Sunday afternoon to topple High Point 5-1 and cap off the series. UAB recorded 9 goals in the past 2 games, and there seems to be no signs of slowing down for the Green and Gold.
The Blazers season has started off with a bang, and this team has wasted no time bringing the game right to their opponents. The Blazers came off the bench with fury Friday night, as Diego Navarrette scored the first 2 goals of the night within the first 20 minutes of play. He was assisted by Lars Willemse and Chase Wickham. Before the half ended, UAB’s Rami Dajani also found the back of the net. After some fancy footwork in and out of the box, Dajani deposited the ball, extending the Blazers lead to 3-0.
“We played really well against a very good team tonight,” head coach Mike Getman commented. “The whole team played well from start to finish. Everything clicked for us tonight.”
The Blazers opened the second half just as they did in the first half and never let up the rest of the way. Freddy Ruiz eventually scored the final point of the match off a pass from Alex Clay that Ruiz launched into the box, giving UAB its 4th and final point of the game.
“Overall, it was a great win” mentioned Getman. “It was a great performance by all of our guys.”
The Green and Gold carried the momentum from Friday night’s contest into Sunday afternoon and didn’t miss a step. In the first half the Blazers played very aggressive soccer ,scoring at the eight-minute mark when Patrick Huang sent a lightning strike into the box from 25 yards out and again with 7 minutes remaining in the half with a play from Ruiz.
High Point attempted to rally in the opening minutes of the second half with a goal from Mamadee Nyepon, making the score to 2-1; however, the Blazers stormed back with a goal each from Huang, Ruiz, and Navarrette in succession and all within just a few minutes of play. Before High Point even realized what happened, the Blazers had extended the score to 5-1, which eventually became the final score.
“We came out, scored early and really controlled how the game was played in the first half, Getman said. “High Point made it a tough game in the second half. Give High Point credit, but at the end of the day we were able to score goals and get the win.”
The Blazers are set to return home this week and have a huge game ahead of them. The Green and Gold will face the Indiana Hoosiers on Friday night at 7:30 PM at West Campus Field.