Women’s soccer – Blazers blank Marshall, 1-0

By on September 29, 2013
Photo by Kyle Thompson

The UAB women’s soccer team won their first conference match Sunday, September 29, beating Marshall 1-0.

“It was a tight match throughout,” head coach Harold Warren said. “We played a good first half. In the second half, we fatigued, but kept pushing.”

Neither UAB (8-3-0) nor Marshall (6-3-1) were able to score in the first half. But UAB took a strong offensive position, leading in shots 10-8 in the first period.

Senior midfielder Abby Phillips and junior midfielder Johanna Liney both had shots on goal, but Marshall’s junior goalkeeper Lizzie Kish stopped both potential goals. (Kish is the current Conference-USA defensive player of the week.)

After halftime, Marshall came out strong, determined to break onto the scoreboard. In the first 23 minutes of the second half, the Thundering Herd forced three saves from UAB’s sophomore goalkeeper Courtnie Northern.

In the 79th minute, Liney took another shot, this time driving the ball into the right corner.

“We had a great opportunity from Johanna (Liney) late in the game,” Warren said. “We put in a world-class goal; it was beautiful.”

The winning goal was Liney’s third of the season.

“You have to give credit to Marshall head coach Kevin Long. He has done a fantastic job with this program,” Warren said. “For us, it was good to beat a good team on a Sunday on the road.”

The Lady Blazers will host UTEP on Sunday, October 8 at 7 p.m. at West Campus Field. Come out and support the team as they go head to head with the Miners!