- Students use alternative art materials for one-night-only exhibition June 18
- Digital Media wins national prize for TEDxBirmingham video
- Trip to New York brings national attention to Birmingham renaissance
- Clothes that work for new grads hitting the market
- Hagel emphasizes leadership to Naval Academy graduates
- Birmingham Chosen To Host 2015 C-USA Basketball Championships
- On The Money: How new graduates can take on the job market
- Canvas unrolled for new school year
- Tornadoes Leave Trail of Devastation (Photos)
- Campus closes early Tuesday due to severe thunderstorm
- Alabama does a double take: ‘Urinetown: the Musical’ hits home twice
- A+ Performance by Legend
- UAB Women’s Softball defeat Charlotte 49ers (8-0)
- A Fun and Fluffy Study Break In Lister Hill
- UAB Earth Month Festival
Women’s soccer – Blazers blank Marshall, 1-0
The UAB women’s soccer team won their first conference match Sunday, September 29, beating Marshall 1-0.
“It was a tight match throughout,” head coach Harold Warren said. “We played a good first half. In the second half, we fatigued, but kept pushing.”
Neither UAB (8-3-0) nor Marshall (6-3-1) were able to score in the first half. But UAB took a strong offensive position, leading in shots 10-8 in the first period.
Senior midfielder Abby Phillips and junior midfielder Johanna Liney both had shots on goal, but Marshall’s junior goalkeeper Lizzie Kish stopped both potential goals. (Kish is the current Conference-USA defensive player of the week.)
After halftime, Marshall came out strong, determined to break onto the scoreboard. In the first 23 minutes of the second half, the Thundering Herd forced three saves from UAB’s sophomore goalkeeper Courtnie Northern.
In the 79th minute, Liney took another shot, this time driving the ball into the right corner.
“We had a great opportunity from Johanna (Liney) late in the game,” Warren said. “We put in a world-class goal; it was beautiful.”
The winning goal was Liney’s third of the season.
“You have to give credit to Marshall head coach Kevin Long. He has done a fantastic job with this program,” Warren said. “For us, it was good to beat a good team on a Sunday on the road.”
The Lady Blazers will host UTEP on Sunday, October 8 at 7 p.m. at West Campus Field. Come out and support the team as they go head to head with the Miners!