- Grant enables UAB Hospital staff to feed underprivileged moms of newborns
- Military man coming to UAB for first time, graduates Saturday
- UAB’s College of Arts and Sciences to honor distinguished alumni and friends
- ‘Tis the season of giving — UAB launches holiday blood drive
- How a cybersecurity expert protects his smartphone
- ASC presents Take 6, “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year” Dec. 15
- Leeth named UAB School of Medicine assistant dean for strategic planning
- Coping with holiday grief
- New water plan saves big money
- Campus police offer holiday safety tips
- Alys Stephen Center Screens Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago
- Hospital feeds underprivileged new moms
- UAB’s Alys Stephens Center presents Yo-Yo Ma Dec. 6
- Southern Miss tops Blazers, 62-27, in season ending game
- Henry Panion selected for 2014 Alabama African-American History Calendar
Women’s tennis has strong showing in first action this season
UAB freshman women’s tennis player Catherine Ragon capped off a strong first tournament, winning the championship of the No. 5 draw of the Steve Baras Fall Classic.
Ragon was impressive with a 6-2, 7-6 (2) win against Erin Patton from Murray State on Sunday. With the victory, Ragon finished her weekend with a 3-0 record in her first tournament as a Blazer.
“This weekend was a good learning experience for all of our freshmen,” head coach Lisa Jackson said. “I think it was also good to see what we need to work on moving forward.”
Joining Ragon on Sunday was UAB sophomore Elaine Simon, who took home a win in the consolation bracket with a 1-6, 6-3, 1-0 (4) triumph in the No. 4 singles draw.
In doubles, Blazers Rachel Daniell and Elaine Simon won their draw with an impressive 8-2 victory on Sunday.
UAB will be back in action this coming weekend. The Blazers will stay in Birmingham for the Samford Invitational, which will run from Friday, Oct. 4 through Sunday, Oct. 6.
For more information on the UAB women’s tennis team, like the Blazers’ Facebook page (UAB Women’s Tennis) or log on to www.UABSports.com.