- ‘Tis the season of giving — UAB launches holiday blood drive
- How a cybersecurity expert protects his smartphone
- ASC presents Take 6, “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year” Dec. 15
- Leeth named UAB School of Medicine assistant dean for strategic planning
- Coping with holiday grief
- New water plan saves big money
- Campus police offer holiday safety tips
- Alys Stephen Center Screens Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago
- Hospital feeds underprivileged new moms
- UAB’s Alys Stephens Center presents Yo-Yo Ma Dec. 6
- Southern Miss tops Blazers, 62-27, in season ending game
- Henry Panion selected for 2014 Alabama African-American History Calendar
- Enjoy Christmas at the Alys Dec. 2, “The Season’s First Jingle”
- Engineering’s Ning wins ASTM International award
- Collat School of Business unveils sign at celebration
Men’s Basketball holds Pre-Season Scrimmage at Bartow Arena
Bright and early, at 11 AM, on Saturday morning, October 19, 2013, a modest crowd of about 500 Blazers fans and supporters gathered at Bartow Arena to witness the men’s basketball team hold its first public scrimmage of the season.
Despite the small gathering, this was essentially the “Big Spring Game” of basketball, but like an actual regular-season game, the scrimmage consisted of two 20-minute halves.
The team split into two sub-teams, Green and White, which consisted roughly of the starters and back-up players, respectively.
The Green team consisted of: #15 Fahro Alihodzic; #24 Preston Purifoy; #25 C.J. Washington; #42 Rod Rucker; and #44 Jordan Swing, and the White team consisted of all the others. The score at the end of the first 20-minute mini-game was a fairly lackluster 28-21. For the 2nd half, #13 Chad Frazier was shuffled to the Green team, which apparently improved the scoring of both squads, but the Green team continued to dominate, as the score at the end of the 2nd 20-minute mini-game was 45-29.
The Blazers will have another chance to hone their skills at Bartow Arena, this time taking on Milligan College of Tennessee, in an exhibition game on Sunday, November 3 at 2 PM, before taking on Columbus State in the first real match of the season against Columbus State on Friday, November 8, at 7 PM, also a home game at “Bartow”.
Also on the horizon are home games vs. Rutgers (11/11 at 7 PM) and Troy (11/14 at 7 PM), both of course at Bartow Arena.
We hope you’ll come out and support the Blazers as they work to give Coach Hasse his first winning season at UAB!
Dana A. Lackey