- Students use alternative art materials for one-night-only exhibition June 18
- Digital Media wins national prize for TEDxBirmingham video
- Trip to New York brings national attention to Birmingham renaissance
- Clothes that work for new grads hitting the market
- Hagel emphasizes leadership to Naval Academy graduates
- Birmingham Chosen To Host 2015 C-USA Basketball Championships
- On The Money: How new graduates can take on the job market
- Canvas unrolled for new school year
- Tornadoes Leave Trail of Devastation (Photos)
- Campus closes early Tuesday due to severe thunderstorm
- Alabama does a double take: ‘Urinetown: the Musical’ hits home twice
- A+ Performance by Legend
- UAB Women’s Softball defeat Charlotte 49ers (8-0)
- A Fun and Fluffy Study Break In Lister Hill
- UAB Earth Month Festival
Miss UAB 2014 Scholarship Pageant to be held Oct. 9
The UAB 2014 Scholarship Pageant will offer 12 young women the chance to win $4,600 in scholarship prizes. The pageant will be held at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 9, 2013, at UAB’s Alys Stephens Performing Arts Center, 1200 10th Ave. South.
The Miss UAB pageant is an official preliminary to the Miss Alabama and Miss America pageants. This year’s theme is “Miss UAB in the City.” The emcee will be Miss Alabama 2013 Chandler Champion. The evening’s entertainment will be Miss UAB 2013 Amanda Whitaker and finalists from the UAB 2013 Talent Search, Trent Knighton and Ingrid Murati.
Scholarships ranging from $100-2,000 will be awarded to the overall winner; the first, second, third and fourth alternates; the talent winner; and the lifestyle/fitness winner. All winners in each category and Miss UAB 2014 will be awarded a gift from Birmingham Business Builders. Miss UAB and the talent and lifestyle/fitness winners will receive award plaque. Miss UAB and all alternates will receive flowers from LaCole Florist, all provided by the Student Activities Council.
The 12 contestants for this year’s Miss UAB pageant are freshman Victoria Bigham of Arab, Ala.; freshman Kaitlyn Chance of Deatsville, Ala.; junior Melanie Roberts of Gardendale, Ala.; freshman Savannah Shelby of New Market, Ala.; junior Hannah Pearcy of Fort Payne, Ala.; sophomore Mattie Boyd of Homewood, Ala.; junior Rachel Bradley of Pleasant Grove, Ala.; freshman Kaley Beauchamp of Albertville, Ala.; junior Chassidy Sumler of Flora, Miss.; junior Alexis Blackmon of Cullman, Ala.; senior Haylie Reed of Huntsville, Ala.; and freshman Ashley Hazlitt of Huntsville, Ala..