- Grant enables UAB Hospital staff to feed underprivileged moms of newborns
- Military man coming to UAB for first time, graduates Saturday
- UAB’s College of Arts and Sciences to honor distinguished alumni and friends
- ‘Tis the season of giving — UAB launches holiday blood drive
- How a cybersecurity expert protects his smartphone
- ASC presents Take 6, “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year” Dec. 15
- Leeth named UAB School of Medicine assistant dean for strategic planning
- Coping with holiday grief
- New water plan saves big money
- Campus police offer holiday safety tips
- Alys Stephen Center Screens Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago
- Hospital feeds underprivileged new moms
- UAB’s Alys Stephens Center presents Yo-Yo Ma Dec. 6
- Southern Miss tops Blazers, 62-27, in season ending game
- Henry Panion selected for 2014 Alabama African-American History Calendar
Pink “Crack” Party Punch
With fall officially here, we can pull out our planners and get ready for the many festivities that fall brings us. I’ve found that fall and the beginning of winter are the times of the year that my planner is bursting with different parties and other fun events to go to. For instance, I have a baby shower to go to in two weeks, a bridal shower in three, and I’m hoping to have a Christmas party after Thanksgiving. Yep, along with the leaves changing their coats, fall brings plenty of activities to attend. My favorite part of any social function is the punch. I surprised you, didn’t I? You thought I was going to say food. Well you’re wrong, dear reader!
In my twenty-two years on this planet we’ve come to call Earth, I’ve been to plenty of social get togethers and have had more than my fair share of punch. Some have been better than others, while some have just knocked the beverage category out of the park. Quite a few times I have encountered a coy mistress of delicious- nay! more than delicious proportions. If you’ve ever been to a bridal shower or a baby shower or even to your prom, you know the one I’m talking about: it’s pink and slushy and tastes like you’re on a cloud made of bunnies. I’ve never known what was in this magnificent punch and no one would tell me. The punch world is a very dog-eat-dog world. It wasn’t until recently that I cracked the code and was able to recreate this delicious beverage. I can’t wait to take it to my upcoming parties and give these people what I’ve delightfully labeled “crack punch”. Why “crack punch”? Because once you take a sip, you’re fully addicted.
What You’ll Need
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 6 cups of water
- 2 packages of strawberry jello mix
- 1 can of pineapple juice
- 2/3 cup lemon juice (note: fresh lemon juice works better because it adds that special tartness but if you’re pressed for time I’ve found Simply Lemonade works just as well)
- 1 quart orange juice
- 2-2 liter bottles of Sprite or 7-up
First, bring your water, sugar, and jello mix to a boil until thoroughly dissolved (about 3-5 minutes). Next, stir in your pineapple, lemon, and orange juice. Pour your mixture into two containers and freeze over night. The next day, place your frozen contents into a punch bowl with your Sprite or 7-up and stir until slushy.
This punch really is delicious and addicting, so be warned! But trust me, you’ll have countless people begging for the recipe that you may get the title of “punch dealer”. Happy drinking!