UAB women’s soccer tied UTEP, 1-1 Friday night

By on October 6, 2013

In its first conference home match, the UAB women’s soccer team tied UTEP 1-1 on Friday, October 4.

It was a long match, with little excitement coming after the opening ten minutes.

Both teams scored early on. Freshman forward Kimberly Fincher scored for UAB at the 5:37 minute mark. Fincher collected a pass from freshman midfielder Morgan Key-Adams and placed the ball in the lower left corner. It was her fourth goal of the season.

Less than a minute later, UTEP’s senior midfielder Azia Nicholson scored her sixth goal of the season. Senior Jade Babcock passed to Nicholson, who shot to the lower right corner.

But neither team would score after the first seven minutes.

In the first half, UAB’s senior midfielder Kirsten Ebert and freshman forward Kasey Johnson both got shots on goal, but UTEP’s junior goalkeeper Sarah Dilling collected two saves.

In the second half, UAB had another chance to score, but Dilling collected another save from sophomore defender Ashley Naumoff’s shot.

Despite playing two ten-minute overtime periods, the score remained tied.

“It was a tough match,” head coach Harold Warren said. “We always knew it was going to be a very, very tough match. UTEP is a good team and works extremely hard. We came out and scored a nice goal early. I thought it was a fairly even game and we just went for it.”

After playing only three conference matches, UAB now has four conference points, already topping last year’s points total.