Brr…it’s ‘chili’

By on November 14, 2013
Photo courtesy of Wiki Commons

Since it’s gotten colder, I’ve been dying for a recipe that will keep my taste buds satisfied and my hands warm.

I’ve never been much of a cook, but my mother insured that I could make the most basic dishes: chicken and dumplings, toasted sandwiches, and chili.

When it’s cold out, chili is my go-to dish.

When I was a kid, I’d get tired of eating so much chili because my dad would make it in the largest pan he owned.

That habit pays off now that I have to make quick meals during the school semester and can just take it in a container and heat it up.

One of the greatest things about chili is that you can add pretty much anything to it and it still has a high likelihood of coming out great.

My dad likes a spicier chili, but I like a softer flavor for my food, so I hold back on too much spice.

What I like to use:

What you need
1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
1 can of green beans (drained)
1 can of red kidney beans (drained)
1 can of black beans (drained)
1 can of tomato sauce
1 chopped onion
chili powder to taste
salt to taste
pepper to taste
garlic to taste

Directions
First, sauté onions and garlic lightly, then add ground beef (or ground turkey) until meat is cooked. Once meat is browned, add tomato sauce, kidney beans, black beans, and green beans until mixed evenly.

My mother also likes to add carrots, bacon, or other ingredients she has lying around.

Next, add chili powder, salt and pepper to taste until satisfied.

My brother likes to add hot sauce or papers to add spice and heat to his own bowl. Once everything is mixed together, let everything cook for one and a half hours.

When serving, people can add their own twists to add flavor. I like topping my bowl of chili with a ton of shredded cheddar cheese and saltine crackers, whereas my mom prefers to have her chili with Fritos.

Stay full and stay warm.

Emmet Christolear
Copy Team
copyed@insideuab.com