- Students use alternative art materials for one-night-only exhibition June 18
- Digital Media wins national prize for TEDxBirmingham video
- Trip to New York brings national attention to Birmingham renaissance
- Clothes that work for new grads hitting the market
- Hagel emphasizes leadership to Naval Academy graduates
- Birmingham Chosen To Host 2015 C-USA Basketball Championships
- On The Money: How new graduates can take on the job market
- Canvas unrolled for new school year
- Tornadoes Leave Trail of Devastation (Photos)
- Campus closes early Tuesday due to severe thunderstorm
- Alabama does a double take: ‘Urinetown: the Musical’ hits home twice
- A+ Performance by Legend
- UAB Women’s Softball defeat Charlotte 49ers (8-0)
- A Fun and Fluffy Study Break In Lister Hill
- UAB Earth Month Festival
Lady Blazers week full of action
Blazers Fall to UTSA, 0-3
The UAB volleyball team fell to UTSA, 3-0, on Friday, November 8 in San Antonio, Texas.
The game marked the Blazers’ 12th loss of the season and the Roadrunners’ 19th win. It was only the fourth time the teams had played each other, with UTSA besting UAB three out of the four times.
The Roadrunners went into the game having only lost one conference match, while the Blazers had already lost five.
UTSA took the lead quickly, winning the first set 25-15, which prompted UAB to fight back in the second set.
Despite four ties and two lead changes, the Roadrunners took that set 25-20.
With the momentum from the first two sets, UTSA went into the third set strong, winning 25-20.
UAB’s sophomore Sam Skinner led the team with 10 kills, although juniors Bethanie Thomas and Kiriana Hirini were close behind with eight and seven kills, respectively. Thomas also led the team with 14 digs. Freshman Amber Treace collected the second double-double of her career with 29 assists and 11 digs.
But the Blazers were ultimately stopped by UTSA’s defense, which recorded 11 blocks and 58 digs in the match.
Senior and reigning National Player of the Week McKenzie Adams was instrumental in UTSA’s victory. Adams had 23 kills and 12 digs in the match.
Blazers defeat LaTech, 3-0
The UAB volleyball team beat Louisiana Tech, 3-0, in Rushton, Louisiana on Sunday, November 10 in its final regular season road game.
This weekend’s match was the first time the teams had played each other as Louisiana Tech joined Conference USA this year.
The win came two days after the Blazers lost to UTSA, 3-0, on Friday night.
UAB (19-12, 6-6) started out strong, easily taking the first set from Louisiana Tech (7-20, 1-11).
The Blazers had a 12-2 lead, before the Techsters had a 6-0 run. But the hosts couldn’t hold their opponent off, and UAB took the set 25-18.
In the second set, Louisiana Tech was up 18-15 when UAB took a timeout. The Blazers came back with a 5-0 run and won the set 25-20. The third set was tied 10-10 before the Blazers had a 10-1 run. UAB finished the set 25-19.
Junior Sara Rishell led the team in kills and blocks with ten and seven, respectively. Junior Kiriana Hirini was close behind with eight kills and three aces. Freshman Amber Treace collected 29 helpers and one kill.
The team’s defense came out strong with senior Rachel Fairbanks taking 16 digs and junior Bethanie Thomas collecting 11.
The Blazers return home for their final two matches of regular season play this weekend. They host Rice on Friday, November 15 at 7 p.m. and Charlotte on Sunday, November 17 at 12 p.m.