- A Fun and Fluffy Study Break In Lister Hill
- The Grand Budapest Hotel
- First African-American faculty member speaks at UAB
- UAB Relay for Life All-Night Event on the Green Starts Friday
- The Nile Project to be in residence at UAB’s Alys Stephens Center in 2015
- Libertarian Gary Johnson joins Tuesday panel for Earth Month
- Jalapeno Popper Pull Apart Bread
- Women’s Softball vs Tulsa a rain victim
- UAB, UAH student groups to host sustainability debate
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- UAB Celebrates Earth Month
- Cellular Stress May Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease
- Blazers Defeat Gamecocks
- Study War No More
- 2014-2015 UAB USGA General Election Results
UAB women’s basketball defeats Richmond, 53-49, in final 15 seconds
On Sunday, November 17, the UAB women’s basketball team (2-2) inched out a victory over host team Richmond (1-2) in the last 15 seconds of the game.
The Blazers scored first with senior Karisma Chapman scoring in the first four seconds of the game, but it was a tight match and neither team led by more than six points at a time.
Richmond was ahead 25-24 going into the break, and the team held onto its lead for more than eight minutes into the second half. But at the 8:19 mark, UAB’s sophomore Chelsee Black converted two free throws to put her team ahead by one point.
There were three more lead changes before the clock stopped, and in the last minute, the teams were tied.
With 42 seconds left, Richmond called a timeout, but UAB seemed to benefit more from the break than the hosts did.
Back on the court, UAB’s senior Ashley Grimes drove toward the baseline and converted a layup with 15 seconds left on the clock, putting the Blazers ahead 51-49. When a foul was called on Richmond seconds later, Grimes was awarded two free throws, which she converted to secure the win.
The Blazers had three players with double-figures on Sunday. Chapman scored a season-high of 19 points; Black scored 11, and Grimes was close behind with 10.
UAB continues on the road and will play Chattanooga on Thursday, November 21 at 6:00 p.m.