UAB women’s basketball defeats Richmond, 53-49, in final 15 seconds

By on November 17, 2013
womens basketball

On Sunday, November 17, the UAB women’s basketball team (2-2) inched out a victory over host team Richmond (1-2) in the last 15 seconds of the game.

The Blazers scored first with senior Karisma Chapman scoring in the first four seconds of the game, but it was a tight match and neither team led by more than six points at a time.

Richmond was ahead 25-24 going into the break, and the team held onto its lead for more than eight minutes into the second half. But at the 8:19 mark, UAB’s sophomore Chelsee Black converted two free throws to put her team ahead by one point.

There were three more lead changes before the clock stopped, and in the last minute, the teams were tied.

With 42 seconds left, Richmond called a timeout, but UAB seemed to benefit more from the break than the hosts did.

Back on the court, UAB’s senior Ashley Grimes drove toward the baseline and converted a layup with 15 seconds left on the clock, putting the Blazers ahead 51-49. When a foul was called on Richmond seconds later, Grimes was awarded two free throws, which she converted to secure the win.

The Blazers had three players with double-figures on Sunday. Chapman scored a season-high of 19 points; Black scored 11, and Grimes was close behind with 10.

UAB continues on the road and will play Chattanooga on Thursday, November 21 at 6:00 p.m.