Veggie and Chicken Spaghetti Squash

By on November 20, 2013

Since I’ve only been cooking seriously for the past four years, there is still a lot that I need to learn about the cooking world. Only when you begin to research your recipes and certain ingredients do you realize how vast and amazing the cooking world really is. Every dish is a new experience and there’s always new things to experiment with and enjoy. One of these things that I have just recently discovered is spaghetti squash. Now most of you are probably saying to yourself, “What ho?! A squash made of spaghetti! Tis impossible!” Now most of you are probably saying this because you’re from 15th century England and the rest of you are probably reading this simply thinking I am insane. But you see, reader, I am not insane! This vegetable exists and it is absolutely delicious.

Let me gab about the spaghetti squash for a second. The spaghetti squash is a very large type of winter squash whose insides resemble thin spaghetti. The mystery is solved! The squash is incredible healthy for you and one of its health benefits includes an exceptionally high carotene percentage. For those of you that don’t remember from nutrition class, carotene is that little substance that can be broken down into Vitamin A in our bodies. It’s all coming back to you now isn’t it? But not only is the spaghetti squash nutritious but it’s also delicious and holds a variety of different recipes at its little squash feet.

I first became interested in the spaghetti squash when I was watching “Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives.” The very eccentric host Guy Fieri was at a restaurant that had a specialty dish of stuffed spaghetti squash. As I watched the chef explain how he made his popular dish, I started to think about what else this amazing gourd could be stuffed with. Turns out, the options are infinite. There really is nothing that you cannot stuff in this squash. So I started to play around with a few recipes and see what I could come up with. The most delicious creation is a combination of veggies and chicken. I am very proud to say that this is my own recipe of my own creation. The only help I got was a little inspiration from several online recipes and I just disected and combined to make my own delicious squash recipe.

What You’ll Need

• 1 medium spaghetti squash
  • olive oil
  • 1/2  a yellow onion finely chopped
  • 2 minced garlic cloves
  • 1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms
  • 1 red bell pepper chopped
  • 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper (add more if you think you’d prefer it extra spicy)
  • 1/2 tablespoon of oregano
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 1 pinch of red curry powder
  • 2 chicken breasts cooked (I’m leaving this method up to you reader! I personally prefer to bake my chicken first and then cube it but whatever method you prefer to get juicy chicken is fine by me! Just remember to not cook it completely! Because remember we’re gonna cook the chicken again once it’s in the squash)
  • 1 small can of black beans (drained of juice)
  • 1 1/2 cups of your favorite shredded cheese

First, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place whole squash on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and roast for 50 minutes. Let it cool another 30 minutes, then cut in half (a serrated knife is best for this). Spoon out the seeds and discard, then scrape up the spaghetti squash flesh with a fork, creating the “spaghetti.”

Next, take a large pan over medium heat and saute your veggies with some more olive oil.  Add all of your seasonings and make sure that your veggies are thoroughly coated for flavor. Saute a little bit longer (about three minutes). Add your spaghetti guts from the squash and your chicken cubes and stir together while continuing to saute.

Next, set your oven to broil. Stuff your squash halves with your chicken and veggie mixture and then sprinkle with a generous coating of your favorite cheese. Broil for about two to three minutes or until the cheese is melted and is bubbly.

This dish is incredibly yummy and healthy and will keep you full and happy for a good long while. It’s perfect for dinner and if you can’t finish it all makes a perfect lunch. Especially since winter is just around the corner, I have a feeling you’ll be out shopping for a ton of spaghetti squash now.

Happy Eating!