Holiday Peppermint Bark

By on December 21, 2013
index

Well, gang. It’s officially the holiday season and that means delicious treats and Christmas music that’s been playing on the radio since Halloween. I love Christmas time. I love the lights that flood the neighborhood houses as I drive down the street. I love the idea that it could snow any day soon. I even love that I will soon be dirt poor after I buy all of my Christmas presents for my loved ones. You know why? Because ever since I was a little girl I’ve always felt that it was true Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year.

Except if you work in retail. If you work in retail, the Christmas season means frustrated parents, whiny children, and violent crowds filling your stores. I should know. I worked at Williams Sonoma during the Christmas season a few years ago and it was rather traumatizing. You don’t understand how desperate housewives can get when the last Jimmy Buffet Margaritaville maker is left on the shelves. It’s like shell shock but worse because there’s angry mothers with big Marc Jacobs purses. So I take it upon myself to always try and do something nice for my friends in retail. Because I know how rough this time of year is and how much those purses hurt when they hit you in the head. Everyone deserves a delicious Christmas treat and, in my opinion, the best Christmas candy treat is peppermint bark.

Ah, peppermint bark. If Heaven has a flag, it has a halo and some peppermint bark on it. I first discovered peppermint bark when I started to work at Williams Sonoma. I was in charge of setting up the displays around the store and we had a large display devoted strictly to peppermint bark. I took one sample bite of that delicious chocolatey goodness and was hooked. They should give peppermint bark to drug addicts to cure them of their ailment. The only downside was that Williams Sonoma charged one tin of bark for twenty five dollars. Yeah, I know. Robbery, right? First world problems: can’t afford peppermint bark. I know it sounds pathetic but I don’t think you get how delicious it is. With Christmas coming up quickly, I decided to share a peppermint bark recipe with everyone so you don’t have to splurge all of your hard earned money on chocolate (even though we’ve all been there before).

What You’ll Need

• 12 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips
  • 12 ounces white chocolate squares or chips
  • 12 large candy canes (crushed in a plastic bag with a mallet or rolling pin)

First, line a baking pan with parchment paper. Place your semi sweet chocolate chips in a microwavable bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Stir with a spatula and then microwave for another 30 seconds. Stir again and make sure that the chocolate is all melted and smooth. Pour your melted chocolate into the pan and smooth it into an even layer. Place in the freezer for 20 minutes. After your chocolate is frozen, repeat the melting process with the white chocolate chips. When the white chocolate is melted, stir in half of your crushed candy cane pieces. Let it cool for a few minutes and then layer on top of the dark chocolate then sprinkle with the remaining candy cane pieces. Freeze for another 20 minutes then remove from the freezer. Take the bark out of the pan and break it into pieces. That’s it. Now all that’s left to do is sit back by a cozy fire with that special someone, drink some cider, and nom on some tasty peppermint bark.

Happy Eating! And Happy Holidays!