- Kaleidoscope wins honors; website named ‘Best In South’
- 2014 Oscar Recap
- Student Government elections are nearing…
- Women’s Softball drops 5-0 game to ‘Bama (Photos)
- Foot Soldier of the Children’s March
- UAB Women’s Basketball beats Tulane 81-79 (Photos)
- Three Days to Kill
- Blood Drives fill calendars at UAB hospitals in February
- UAB Womens Basketball Grab a big win against Louisiana Tech, 71-62
- #UABProbs — How to make green grass
- Regionals Science Olympiad (Photos)
- The Monuments Men
- UAB Builds New Residential Hall
- Classes, operations delayed Thursday until 11 a.m.
- Bedsider UAB Promotes Safe Sex
‘Tis the season of giving — UAB launches holiday blood drive
UAB and the American Red Cross will hold a blood drive daily through Dec. 19. The drive runs at the UAB Hospital North Pavilion second-floor atrium, daily through Dec. 14, and at UAB Highlands Hospital on Dec. 17-19.
All blood types are needed. Donors should bring a photo ID. Free parking is available in the North Pavilion parking deck and the UAB Highlands parking lot. Each donor will be entered for a chance to win one of four $100 gift cards.
Hours at the North Pavilion, 18th Street and 6th Avenue North:
- Monday, Dec. 9, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Tuesday, Dec. 10, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Wednesday, Dec. 11, 7 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Thursday, Dec. 12, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Friday, Dec. 13, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 14, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Hours at UAB Highlands, 1201 11th Ave. South:
- Tuesday, Dec. 17, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Wednesday, Dec. 18, 6:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Thursday, Dec. 19, 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
UAB is one of the largest users nationally of blood supplied by the Red Cross. Donors can give blood up to six times a year, once every eight weeks. The process takes about 45 minutes; the actual blood collection usually takes less than 20 minutes.
Blood products are used during surgery, transplantation, trauma care, difficult pregnancies and cancer treatment. It is not unheard-of for a single patient to require as many as 100 units.