- Students use alternative art materials for one-night-only exhibition June 18
- Digital Media wins national prize for TEDxBirmingham video
- Trip to New York brings national attention to Birmingham renaissance
- Clothes that work for new grads hitting the market
- Hagel emphasizes leadership to Naval Academy graduates
- Birmingham Chosen To Host 2015 C-USA Basketball Championships
- On The Money: How new graduates can take on the job market
- Canvas unrolled for new school year
- Tornadoes Leave Trail of Devastation (Photos)
- Campus closes early Tuesday due to severe thunderstorm
- Alabama does a double take: ‘Urinetown: the Musical’ hits home twice
- A+ Performance by Legend
- UAB Women’s Softball defeat Charlotte 49ers (8-0)
- A Fun and Fluffy Study Break In Lister Hill
- UAB Earth Month Festival
UAB’s Heaton receives 2013 Outstanding Alumni Award from UK College of Nursing
Karen Heaton, Ph.D., CEN, FNP-BC, assistant professor at the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Nursing, has received the 2013 Outstanding Alumni Award from the Alumni Association at the University of Kentucky College of Nursing.
Nominations were submitted by peers in Heaton’s graduating class. Awards were presented at the UK Homecoming Brunch and Fashion Show on Nov. 1.
Heaton earned her bachelor’s degree from UAB, her master’s from the University of Louisville, a post-master’s Family Nurse Practitioner certificate from George Washington University, and her doctorate in nursing from the University of Kentucky.
Heaton’s program of research on obstructive sleep apnea indicators and risk factors for injury and cardiovascular disease resulted in invitations to participate in the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health’s public meeting on its Survey of Truck Driver Injury and Health, as well as to consult for the American College of Chest Physicians’ Sleep Educator Program. Heaton recently developed a Department of Transportation medical examiner certification review course sponsored by the UAB School of Nursing.