Addictive Potato Salad

By on January 14, 2014

Everyone needs a good potato salad recipe. That’s a firm and honest belief of mine.  Potato salad is the staple of good picnics, parties, and holidays. During family functions, my grandmother always made the potato salad, and my dad and I spent many an evening devouring as much as we possibly could.
Like most grandmothers, however, she never wanted to reveal her recipe. Whenever I would beg her to reveal her secrets she would simply say, “Make your own recipe and then we can compare.”
Not cool, Nana. Not cool.
Now that I’m older I realize that Nana’s advice were words of wisdom. Everyone’s potato salad is sacred and unique. After searching the internet for different basic potato salad recipes, I noticed that many of the recipes  are way too fancy for my own taste.Call me crazy, but I grew up believing potato salad was supposed to be made solely of, well, potato salad.
There’s no need to add pasta or any other bells and whistles.
My Nana’s potato salad was incredibly simple, and it was the best potato salad I’ve ever had. Honestly the best thing you can add to a potato salad (or any recipe for that matter) is the simple combination of blood, sweat and tears.
The more you work on a dish, the better it becomes.
Winter is fading away and with that comes spring. And with spring comes weather worthy of picnics, barbecues, and other fun gatherings. All of these events are perfect for practicing your potato salad recipe!
I’ve only been working on my potato salad recipe for a few  months, but it’s finally at a level of awesomeness that I am proud of.
And because I’m such a good person I’ve decided to share it with you.

What You’ll Need

12 to 14 Yukon Gold potatoes
12 hard boiled eggs
1 diced medium sized yellow onion
3 cups of chopped celery
2 1/2 cups of mayonnaise (Duke’s is the best)
1/2 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons yellow mustard (I use Dijon mustard)
liberal amounts of salt and pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
paprika

Rinse your potatoes and boil them until a fork goes through with only little resistance (this is about 20 minutes). Let the potatoes cool, then peel and cut them into cubes. Next, chop your hard boiled eggs.

Combine your potatoes, eggs, celery, and onions in a large bowl and then add your seasonings. Top with the sour cream, mayonnaise, and mustard, stirring until everything is combined. As you stir make sure that you don’t break up the potato cubes too much. I’m very proud of this recipe and I think that everyone you serve it to will agree. And remember that every recipe is unique to the person who created it. If you love this recipe the way it is then go for it but if you feel like you want to add something that would make it unique to you then that’s great too! Be proud of your potatoes!

Happy Eating!