- A Fun and Fluffy Study Break In Lister Hill
- The Grand Budapest Hotel
- First African-American faculty member speaks at UAB
- UAB Relay for Life All-Night Event on the Green Starts Friday
- The Nile Project to be in residence at UAB’s Alys Stephens Center in 2015
- Libertarian Gary Johnson joins Tuesday panel for Earth Month
- Jalapeno Popper Pull Apart Bread
- Women’s Softball vs Tulsa a rain victim
- UAB, UAH student groups to host sustainability debate
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- UAB Celebrates Earth Month
- Cellular Stress May Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease
- Blazers Defeat Gamecocks
- Study War No More
- 2014-2015 UAB USGA General Election Results
Blazer women grab first conference win against Marshall
The UAB Women’s Basketball team tipped off against Marshall over the weekend, and a strong second half led the team to its first Conference USA win of the season, 63-57.
UAB (9-6, 1-1 C-USA) scored 41 points in the second half, which was coming back from being 13 points in the hole at the end of the first.
“It was a great road win for our team,” said head coach Randy Norton. “In the first half, we weren’t making our shots like we wanted to. We were shooting 27 percent, but we came back in the second half and shot 57 percent. We have talked all year long about next play and that you need to continue to play for 40 minutes. I felt like our girls did that today and found a way to win. I am really proud of them.”
Marshall opened the game quickly with an 8-2 run, giving them an early lead. The Herd held its largest lead at the 8:57 mark with 19-6. Blazers Senior Karisma Chapman stayed strong with 13 points in the first half, finishing the game with 22 points and 11 rebounds.
Blazers started the second half quick with a 9-2 run to give them the first lead of the half. It was answered with 10 straight points from the Herd, with 2 threes from their top scorer AJ Johnson.
Senior Ashley Grimes came out of the half on fire, scoring 13 of her 15 shots. Grimes had five assists, three steals, and a career-high nine rebounds throughout the game.
Sophomore Chelsee Black put 11 points on the board in the second half with three 3 pointers and the final free throw that gave the Blazers the lead with 62-56 with only 46 seconds remaining in the game. Blazers went out strong on the defensive end with 32 rebounds, 42 in all.
The Blazers will be gone this week, playing a conference game against Tulsa this Wednesday, Jan 15 at 7 P.M CT. Followed by a home game in Bartow Arena against Middle Tennessee state, Saturday Jan 18 at 4 P.M. The UAB Men’s Basketball team will start the day off in a game versus UTEP on the 18th at 1 P.M.