DIY: Inspiration Wall

By on January 28, 2014
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea." --Isak Dinesen, Seven Gothic Tales

Sometimes it’s really hard to get the creative juices flowing. For several days, I didn’t know what project I wanted to tackle next. When I did manage to think of something, I’d veto it because I wasn’t sure how I’d make everything come together the way I wanted. What I needed was inspiration…and that was the thought that led to this inspiration wall!

Inspiration can be found almost anywhere. Some people look to the stars, others to the earth and the people around them. Sometimes you hear a random string of words that reverberates through your mind, your heart, and your soul. It influences your work, your art, and even your life.

I wanted to cover an entire wall with what inspires me (or half a wall in this case—this will be a never-ending work in progress for me). However, I didn’t want to use nails or damage the wall in any way. So I bought a roll of Kraft paper and hung it with thumbtacks. If you rent your place and don’t want to leave even the tiniest of markings in the wall, you could use a removable putty adhesive; it’s only a couple of dollars, and it works really well. Alternatively, you could use several canvases and hang them with adhesive hooks.

For the quotes, I used a mixture of mediums: paint, chalk, a Sharpie. To make everything stick, I used hot glue for some items (the buttons on the thumbtacks) and a spray adhesive for others (the fabric). It really comes down to what you have on hand and how strong you need the bond to be.

If you’re not sure where to start, try a quote from your favorite movie or song or start with a photograph you really love.

The amazing thing about this is that it is so easy to do. And it’s not just fun to make; it’s also super helpful when you’re stuck in a creative rut.

There are over 7 billion ways to make an inspiration “board”; this is something that can be really personal. Use whatever you have to say whatever you want.

Total price: $1.50