Spicy Egg and Sausage Breakfast Hash

By on January 11, 2014
By Michelle Love, Staff Writer; Art by Daniel Twieg/Photo Editor

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It’s something that’s drilled into our heads since we’re tiny tots with our eyes all aglow. It’s what has motivated our mothers to force pancakes and bacon down our throats before school and to yell at us when we say we aren’t hungry yet. But as it turns out, breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. Without breakfast we have to starve at work or at school until lunch time. Without breakfast we get one inch closer to killing our seat or cubicle neighbor for their that granola bar they hide in their brief case (let’s call this person Brenda). It’s really not rocket science, guys. When we’re hungry all we can focus on is being hungry. It’s harder to place our attention on the tasks at hand when your stomach is growling and Brenda is happily chowing down on that granola bar.

I realize that we’re all busy individuals with full schedules and crowded craniums but the fact is we really do need to take the time to eat breakfast. Weight also plays a big role in breakfast also.  I used to be scared that eating breakfast would just add more calories to my calorie budget app on my phone so I used to skirt breakfast as much as possible. But then I discovered that a big breakfast actually helps you lose weight! No, really. It really does help. When you eat a hearty but balanced breakfast, you’re less hungry throughout the day and less likely to reach for an unhealthy lunch or an extra snack. Now some of you may not be fans of breakfast food. I don’t know why. Maybe you’re weird or you were had a traumatizing bacon experience as a child. I don’t know and I don’t judge. Breakfast can be whatever you make it.  So even if you have a 9:30 AM class or a business meeting to attend, try and make a nice breakfast for yourself. You really won’t regret it.

Happy Eating!

What You’ll Need

• 6 eggs whisked (I like to add salt, pepper, and a teeny tiny sprinkle of dill to my eggs)
  • 1  pound of your favorite breakfast sausage (Jimmy Dean is delicious. It took me years to figure out it was not the same as James Dean the actor)
  • 1 green bell pepper chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper chopped
  • 1 jalapeno chopped
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic chopped
  • vegetable oil (The original recipe called for cooking fat but I don’t want us to die of heart disease today)
  • 1 cup of shredded red potatoes

First, add some vegetable oil to a saute pan over medium high heat. Take your sausage and crumble it into small chunks and cook in the vegetable oil. When the sausage is cooked, place on a plate with a paper towel so the grease can drain. Next, cook your garlic in the same vegetable oil you cooked the sausage in (you may need to add a little bit more oil so that the garlic won’t burn). When your kitchen starts to smell of garlic, add your peppers and your onion. You want to soften the peppers just slightly before adding the potatoes. Once you’ve added the potatoes, season with salt and pepper and any other spices your heart desires. When the potatoes and the peppers are softened, transfer to a separate dish and add your sausage that’s been draining. Next take your eggs and scramble them in the saute pan and right before your eggs lose that delicious slightly-runny consistency, add your veggies and your sausage and scramble them with your eggs. This dish is delicious and really packs a punch with flavor. I promise you won’t be cranky from hunger anymore and your neighbor (Brenda) can survive another day.