- A Fun and Fluffy Study Break In Lister Hill
- The Grand Budapest Hotel
- First African-American faculty member speaks at UAB
- UAB Relay for Life All-Night Event on the Green Starts Friday
- The Nile Project to be in residence at UAB’s Alys Stephens Center in 2015
- Libertarian Gary Johnson joins Tuesday panel for Earth Month
- Jalapeno Popper Pull Apart Bread
- Women’s Softball vs Tulsa a rain victim
- UAB, UAH student groups to host sustainability debate
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- UAB Celebrates Earth Month
- Cellular Stress May Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease
- Blazers Defeat Gamecocks
- Study War No More
- 2014-2015 UAB USGA General Election Results
Spicy Egg, Sausage Breakfast Hash
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
It’s something that’s drilled into our heads since we’re tiny tots with our eyes all aglow. It’s what has motivated our mothers to force pancakes and bacon down our throats before school and to yell at us when we say we aren’t hungry.
But as it turns out, breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. Without breakfast we have to starve at work or at school until lunch time. Without breakfast we get one inch closer to killing our seat or cubicle neighbor for their that granola bar they hide in their brief case.
It’s really not rocket science, guys. When we’re hungry all we can focus on is being hungry. It’s harder to place our attention on the tasks at hand when your stomach is growling.I realize that we’re all busy individuals with full schedules and crowded craniums but the fact is we really do need to take the time to eat breakfast.
But then I discovered that a big breakfast actually helps you lose weight! No, really. It really does help. When you eat a hearty but balanced breakfast, you’re less hungry throughout the day and less likely to reach for an unhealthy lunch or an extra snack.
Now some of you may not be fans of breakfast food. I don’t know why. Maybe you’re weird or you were had a traumatizing bacon experience as a child. I don’t know and I don’t judge. Breakfast can be whatever you make it. So even if you have a 9:30 AM class or a business meeting to attend, try and make a nice breakfast for yourself. You really won’t regret it.
First, add some vegetable oil to a saute pan over medium high heat. Take your sausage and crumble it into small chunks and cook in the vegetable oil.
When the sausage is cooked, place on a plate with a paper towel so the grease can drain.
Next, cook your garlic in the same vegetable oil you cooked the sausage in (you may need to add a little bit more oil to prevent burning).
When your kitchen starts to smell of garlic, add your peppers and your onion. Soften the peppers just slightly before adding the potatoes. Once you’ve added the potatoes, season with salt and pepper and any other spices your heart desires.
When the potatoes and the peppers are softened, transfer to a separate dish and add your sausage that’s been draining.
Next take your eggs and scramble them in the saute pan and right before your eggs lose that delicious slightly-runny consistency, add your veggies and your sausage and scramble them with your eggs.
This dish is delicious and really packs a punch with flavor. I promise you won’t be cranky from hunger anymore and your neighbor can survive another day.
You Will Need
- 6 eggs whisked (I like to add salt, pepper, and a teeny tiny sprinkle of dill to my eggs)
- 1 pound of your favorite breakfast sausage (Jimmy Dean is delicious.)
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeno chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- vegetable oil (The original recipe called for cooking fat but I don’t want us to die of heart disease today)
- 1 cup of shredded red potatoes